Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange2000: How to limit traffic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExchangeUser

Technical User
May 12, 2003
MD
Hi guys!
The whole Internet bandwidth is overwhelmed when my users pump their e-mails from Exchange2000 server.
How do I limit the traffic ?
Are there any add-ons or methods ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

You may need to limit the size of messages that can be sent and recieved into the organisation through the properties of the Message delivery section under the Global settings in the System manager.

AND limit the number of concurrent connections on the SMTP.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

can you tell that the bottleneck is definitely coming from the Exchange server?

Yes. I went to this conclusion after several tests an checks on the router.

Did you limit the concurrent connections too?

How many users are we talking about here, and what and how many mails do they send on average?

Didn't limit the concurrent connections. It is about 40.
How to do it ?

Open System Manager, go to your Server in Admin Groups, Open SMTP Protocol right click Default SMTP virtual connectors - properties.
There you can limit them, as well as in the tab Messages where you can limit the number of messages per connection.

Basically the same place where you restrict the size AND the session!

You never answerred how many users and load you have?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Make sure that the maximum message size is set. Reading above, it reads like you only set the MAILBOX size.

I think one thing that everyone missed here is Linkstate!

This can create a whole lot of traffic and if you don't have the bandwith it may be worth supressing it. When this is done essentially the routing will operate lke 5.5 but you will not have 650 k LS packets floating about.

Also watch out for PF traffic, back fill especially uses a lot of band width...

backfill? please explain further... I'm following this thread because I'm having the same problem: 6 exchange servers in one domain connected by relatively slow links (144k, 256k, etc.) Most of the time it's fine but several times a day, mail traffic swamps the available bandwidth for 15 or 20 minutes at a time. I've already restricted concurrent connections but it didn't really help. Each server has it's own public folders and there is very little pf access across the wan.

Also, how to disable Link State?

If your using public folders and have replicas on your other E2K boxes I would also advise checking the replication intervals you have set for them. Set up a Public Folder policy in system policies and set your replication interval there to run during off hours. If you presently have it set to "Always Run" that could be causing your problem. Also, if you have items in your PF that are large consider setting the size limits on the replication of those as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back