Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

EXCHANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.

maoredi

Technical User
Feb 27, 2007
CA
Hello
It is my forst post to this website and I really, really need some help.
I have installed exchange 2003 in to one box. We can not afford to get another box to use a front end and a back end server, so it has to be all in one.
Now. My question is this.
It looks like I can send emails but I can not receive emails. Is there something specifical that you have to do. the instalation went perfect. no problems. No errors. Nothing.
I will have more questions but this is my forst one.
thank you

Hello maoredi

Welcome to tek-tips.

First of all, did you get your ISP to point your MX record at your server ?

Thank you for the quick answer. It is the first forum where it looks that something is happening.

I did not made any of these.
I have the Exchange server behind a firewall. The firewall is a Sonicwall Pro 3060. I have a static Ip address asigned ti it. Can you tell me what I have to do ?

Have a word with the people who sold you your domain name. Tell them that you have an email server, and you need a MX record to point at it at you static External IP. While they are at it, they need to configure reverse DNS for it as well.

The firewall needs to translate the external IP to the internal static IP (NAT, or Network Address Translation)that you have assigned to the Exchange box, and allow SMTP traffic (Port 25) through to the exchange box.

I am afraid I cannot help you with the Firewall stuff, but there may be a Sonic forum on tek-tips for it ? If not check out the manufacturer website for documentation on it perhaps.

isn't easy to publish it through ISA ?

No but I am planning to add more if will make my life easier.i saw that is not to hard to configure.is just the web listener that has to be configure corectly togeter with the SSl certificate and corect hardware installed. @ nic cards ...on a windows 2003 server

Your Sonicwall has a "Public Server Wizard" button that will automatically create the port forwarding and NAT translation entries for you. It is found under the Network button -> NAT Policies option.

ok guys here is my plan.
Like I said I have been asked to instal a new exchange server that will be available from anywhere. We alreadu have an exchange server in to a domain that i used only internal. That domain that is used internaly has been taken from someoneels in the real world. So i had no choice then to create a new exchange server with a real domain name. Now. this exchange server is goint to be a ttaly separated machine all in one box.DC and exchange. ( Dc for the active directory purpose)
The way I am aplanning to use this is to creat a totaly separated network and in this netowrk I will have only 2 computer. The exchange server and the ISA Server.
I will publish the exchange server throght the ISA and create als a rule for RPC.
So. What do you think guys. Is taht a really really bad plan ?

maoredi

Exchange on a DC is far from ideal, and isnt best practice.

How many users do you have ?

What other services or functionality do you need to provide to network users besides exchange ?

there will be no other service provided. i have another Dc that is providing the services for printing and sharing....
I want this machin to be isolated from the actual network. I will have arround 60 mailboxes. I know what you are suggesting. But we do not have resources to make an front and back end server.

Can you describe "isolated from the network", and what you are attempting to achieve, the network topology sounds a bit overcomplicated to me at the moment

It is a really bad plan. Can you detail (change the names for security) what you have done and got and we'll help advise how to make your current Exchange server work right - shouldn't be too hard.

Paulha here is the answer
isolated means: i have in the switch just 2 computers. The exchange Server and the ISA Server.
the ISA Server has 2 NIC's

maoredi

So your Exchange box is already a DC ?

Have you sorted out the MX record and port forwarding myself and Sniper58 suggested in the 1st two responses on this thread ?

What is with the sonicwall and the ISA, how do they interact ?

Like Zelandakh says, detail what you have done so far, we can then advise how get it working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back