Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange users cant receive email from anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe44850

Programmer
Feb 20, 2002
US
I posted this message earlier but the subject was apparently not very interesting.

Hi, I've been working on this problem for 5 days with no luck. I have set up Exchange Server 2000 and can send mail, but nobody can receive it. After 4 hours, the message comes back with deferred: connection timed out. I can telnet into the mail server on both 25 and 110 ports, and I can login with user names and passwords. When I use the web-based mail exchange comes with, all the mail goes into the Badmail folder. Is this an active directory problem? DNS maybe? ( I do have the mx records pointing to my mail server: upstairs-server.jjl.biz )
Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Joe

"web-based mail exchange comes with"

That doesn't make sense. Can users e-mail themselves from Outlook? Web-Mail (OWA) is just another client on the server. If Outlook works so should it.

If you can telnet to 25 on the Exchange Server and spoof a message and the user gets it then Exchange isn't the problem. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back