Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Upgrade Scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCOest

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
US
Does anyone see any problems with this scenario. The completed task will be to upgrade an existings 2k domain with a 2000 exchange server to completely 2003. To get thru the exchange part we want upgrade exchange to 2000 running on windows 2000 to exchange 2003. Then introduce a new server running windows 2003 and exchange 2003, then remove the first exchange(W2k now w/ e2k3) from the network. Then add all new servers (just because we needed a hardware upgrade anyway) that are running 2003 and we will then have a completely 2003 domain. This right now is our primary scenario, any flaws?

I don't see any problems with this as long as you are still factoring in the domain and forest prep.

Also, curious as to why upgrade the exchange 2000 box to exchange 2003? You can move these mailboxes from the exchange 2000 box to the 2003.

Is there a difference between doing our plan than running the ADPrep fix? Has anyone run into problems with the ADPrep tool?

I may not be the best one to answer since I have not run it in my production environment. That said.. I've run it multiple times in dev environments and haven't had a problem. It all went pretty smooth.

Your going to have to run the preps (for exchange at least) no matter what method you do. It is mandatory.

There is absolutly no reason not to add new W2K3/E2K3 servers to the existing E2K Orginization and then migrate the mailboxes. They co-exist quite well. There is one AD fix you need to manually apply to the AD Schema, read up on it before you start, no matter what route you take. You do need to run AD Prep and Forest Prep first, either manually or thru a wizard. We have done it manualy and it worked like a charm.

Of course it goes without saying that you need to CYA before undertaking this project....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back