Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange System Manager failure ID no: 80004005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1956

MIS
Apr 24, 2003
IL
I set up my Exchange 2000 under Windows 2000 SBS some time ago. Everything works OK, but...

Any attempt to access the Public Folder Store results in the message:
Exchange Systems Manager
The Operations Failed.
ID No: 80004005
Exchange System Manager

Such attempts include:
Clicking Exchange -> Folders -> Public Folders
Right Clicking Exchange -> Servers -> severname -> First Storage Group -> Public FOlder Store -> Public Folders -> folder name.

This has been happening for some time - but as Exchange still works, I have lived with it.

ANy ideas?

Do I need to backup exchange and create a new Folder Store?

Thanks
Chris.

did you ever figure this out? i'm having same problem.

I eventually sorted it out by applying all of the maintenance that I could find for Windows 2000/Exchange 2000 via the Microsoft Update website.

At the time I also had some Newsgroup definitions that wouldn't go away! This may well have all been part of the same problem, as applying the maintenance resolved both issues.

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful - but it was a while ago.

Chris.

I have the same problem,it seems as it came from no where,I've red somthing saying that ExsystemManager tryes tos access public folders through webdev protocol so it has somthing to do with your explorer maybe,I didn't check it

jurdi

It's nothing to do with explorer.

Applying SP3 to exchange server got read if the error messages, and eventually let me ger rid of dead newsgroup files.

Hi chris1956
I'm planing to re-apply sp3 on SBS 2000,should I or shouldn't I? cause I already applyed but I thought re-applying should resolve my problem?but i'm afraid of having other problems after re-applying?
pl. advice me

see allso knowledge base article 282076 .
it is a problem with the host header name in iis on the port that exchange uses to access the public folders, solved in the sp.

Beleave me I chicked this also,the header is blank.
I just want to know is it possible to re-apply sp3 on exchange2k??

I had this problem a long time ago. Seems that it was related to removing a server from the Exchange organization without transferring certain roles related to public folders to a new server first. I just shut down the server and unplugged it. Don't do that. I didn't discover the problem until the server was long gone. There are KB articles for cleaning up the resulting mess.

Good Luck,

John

and check if youre doing SSL on the local IIS

Everyone is on the right course here. It is a generic ID that covers a host (no pun intended)of possibilities.

1. Can occur on a page when an event is updating or inserting into a recordset.(ODBC)
2. The permissions on the database itself does not have full read/write privileges in effect.
3. Can also occur when the database is located outside of the inetpub/ directory. Though the information is still able to be viewed and searched, it cannot be updated unless it is in the directory. (ODBC)
4. If you have non-updateable queries within your database (joins or newsgroups are a good example) - this could be the cause.
5. The Host header name box must be blank (has already been mentioned)
6. You can check the version of the W3svc.dll file on the Exchange 2000 server. You can use the Filever.exe utility to do so, or open the file properties in Windows Explorer. If the version of the file is later than 5.0.2195.1600, you probably have installed a post-Service Pack 1 (SP1) hotfix for IIS, which created this issue. You may roll back this file to 5.0.2195.1600, or, preferably, install a later version of the file available from the following Microsoft Web site:
7. If the Exadmin virtual directory in Microsoft IIS is configured to require Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), you receive this error message when you try to expand public folders. (been mentioned also, but if you want to make sure):

If you already have the latest service pack for Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server

1.Click Start, point to Programs, click Administrative Tools, and then click Internet Services Manager.
2.Click your server, and then expand the Web site that contains the Exadmin virtual directory. The default Web site is "Default Web Site."
3.Right-click the Exadmin virtual directory, and then click Properties.
4.Click the Directory Security tab.
5.Under Secure Communications, click Edit. (If the Edit button is unavailable, you do not have Secure Communications enabled for this Web site, and this is not the cause of your 80004005 error message.)
6.Click to clear the Require secure channel (SSL) check box.
7.Click OK twice.
8.Close Exchange System Manager, and then reopen it.

You should now be able to access the Public Folder tree in Exchange System Manager.
This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server Service Pack 2.

Hope this puts all in a better perspective...

Ok
1-
I have checked the W3svc.dll version and its
5.0.2195.6700 so how can I roll back to its original version and would this affect the whole system??
2-
the strange thing is on the M: drive on Public folders when I click the properties to check the security I get a message saying "you have only permission to view the current security information on public folders" and under the permissions no one has any permission at all!! is this normal??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back