Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange sucking up all my HD space

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdannan

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2003
US
Well let's see, my Exchange DB is sucking all my hard drive space away.

Currently the Database Size in Limit GB is set to 26.
The db files are:
priv1.edb = 18,831,516 KB
priv1.stm = 13,457,416 KB

I'm trying to stop the DB from taking all my HD space. This is getting really frustrating since I'm waiting on a new server to arrive, and then i'll be moving most of the file server data to that new server.

What can I do to stop Exchange from putting my C: drive at 0kb free?

Please help! Thanks for your response, I hope I can solve this issue quickly.

Check my response from the 12th about moving other things.

You are going to have probs with the TLs and the store on the same drive. Cut DIRT to 0 temporarily, offline defrag and get another drive on there pronto.

Yes. Agreed. That's where I was heading with him... finding "empty" storage, moving the database, and adjusting parameters in exchange to get him by until he can get a new box in place.

Only other items on C: are a few programs and the Operating system. The partition is 34gb.

I have the new server which is going to take all of the data off the 136gb second partition and then I will be able to move the exchange DB and TLs off of C and onto that.

I will have the other box setup tomorrow night, and then I can start xferring data off of the current server. And this will give me more space to move things around.

Currently the store is stable and not dismounting. There'a bout 151mb of space avail on C:.

Even after you have the other partition available, you shouldn't have both the DBs and TLs on the same array. If they are truly both partitions on the same spindles, you're REALLY not helping yourself from a performance point of view.

When you mount the stores, do you quickly get a ton of mails in your queues? Maybe from an NDR attack?

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

It's going to be a long couple days for you.

No chance of running to compusa, buying a hard drive, slapping it in the server and moving the info store over now to get you by?

MS best practices say keep DB and TLs on separate spindles.

you say "partition" - do you mean that? A partition on the same spindles as the OS, or a second drive or second array giving a drive letter?

--DW

Quit stomping on my post sniper! ha! :)

Wait, that's what snipers do.

Carry on.

:)

I meant, second drive array. OS array is 2 drives, and second array is raid 10 with 3 hard drives.

sniper, I don't get a ton of mails in the queue when I mount the stores.

There isn't any more space to add any drives in this server. And I don't have a PCI scsi card in it in order to do an external solution.

Sorry for the confusion on second drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back