Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange - Strange address issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2007
US
Hello All.

I have a very strange issue which I cannot seem to identify or fix. Here's the stats...

Multiple exchange 2003 servers at multiple sites. All sites are on Active Directory 2003. SMTP traffic is routed through DMZ through SMTP gateway (Brightmail 6.0 running on Linux platform). And then is being scanned on mailbox store via and Antigen agent.

OK... The strange problem... I have one distribution group, defined as a security group, which is also email enabeled, both for exchange members of the domain and for outside users. In other words anyone can send to this group courtesy of and SMTP address. OK if I send an email internal from same domain through exchange, all users receive the message, and no NDR is returned... Here's the quirky thing... If I send from outside address using SMTP address I get and NDR with error code 5.1.1. And the NDR suggests that someone does not exists at this address, basically it's telling me that the address doesn't exist.. Now this address getting refused was from a previous user who no longer works at this company... So the NDR only goes to external users...

I've recreate the group in active directory and the problem still occurs... It's as if the SMTP address is somehow still mapped to this previous user... I've checked ADSI edit and found no attributes that relate to this not existent user object and I have looked into delegation but this seems to have more to do with calendar and meeting requests then just regualr emails. Not to mention if delegation had somehting to do with it, I have already tried removing all users from the group and issue still happens.

SO I am preplexed any ideas?

Thanks

Where are you getting the NDR from, Exchange or the SMTP gateway?

I would be that your linux box is rejecting the email because it doesn't think it is a real user.

Do you have the same results for every mail enabled group, or just this specific one?

Only have issue with this one mail-enabled group. I would say that makes sense... But brightmail is able to transfer to other members of the group... And the users in the excahnge group are recieivng the messages from SMTP address however the user who sends the message gets NDR about non-existent previous user, who was at one time a member of this group... The NDR is being generated from exchange.

Below is error message

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

XX@xx.com

Final-Recipient: rfc822;XX@xx.com
Action: failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back