Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Store in SBS08 won't load on new server, how to fix? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopacfan

Programmer
Oct 30, 2000
US
I have just completed a server migration from a dell T105 to a T410. Everything seems to be going pretty well except the Exchange Store cannot be started. The error log had the following entries:

Error - MSExchange ADAccess - Event ID 2114 - Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGYSERVICE.EXE (PID=3004). Topology discovery failed, error 0x80040a02 (DSC_E_NO_SUITABLE_CDC). Look up the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) error code specified in the event description. To do this, use Microsoft Knowledge Base article 218185, "Microsoft LDAP Error Codes." Use the information in that article to learn more about the cause and resolution to this error. Use the Ping or PathPing command-line tools to test network connectivity to local domain controllers.

Information - MSExchange ADAccess - Event ID 2080 - "Process MSEXCHANGEADTOPOLOGYSERVICE.EXE (PID=3004). Exchange Active Directory Provider has discovered the following servers with the following characteristics:
(Server name | Roles | Enabled | Reachability | Synchronized | GC capable | PDC | SACL right | Critical Data | Netlogon | OS Version)
In-site: pserver.dom01.local CDG 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
Out-of-site: "

I reached this point by running a restore from my ShadowCraft backup and running a hardware independent restore. All of the drivers are loaded, there are no errors in device manager. The new server has dual quad core processors and 32gb of ram. The previous server (in place currently) only has 8gb of ram w/ a single quad core processor. The restore ran without any errors (that I could see).

I have very little experience with Exchange. Can anyone shed some light on what could be causing this?

Michael Netherton
Responder Public Safety Equipment

Hi,

When you say you did a migration did you move the mailboxes or are you trying to copy across the mailbox database files and mount them? What did you migrate from?

Thanks

BobbyCam,

This was a full and complete backup of the entire OS and hard drive, from the old server and restored to the new server.

Thanks

Michael Netherton

OK, well the error points to the exchange server having problems seeing the domain. Can you run a DCDIAG /F and post the result?

Also, just a thought, it might be worthwhile running the SBS wizards again from the SBS console.

The SBS wizard, that's a good idea. I didn't think about that. I'll run the command you listed and post that as well. I assume this is at the command prompt.

Michael Netherton

C:\>dcdiag

Directory Server Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
Trying to find home server...
Home Server = SVR01
* Identified AD Forest.
Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\SVR01
Starting test: Connectivity
The host 695d006d-3718-4ceb-b998-8f96c74dab3c._msdcs.dom01.local
could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP,
server name, etc.
......................... SVR01 failed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

Skipping all tests, because server SVR01 is not responding to
directory service requests.

Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones
Starting test: CheckSDRefDom
......................... ForestDnsZones passed test CheckSDRefDom
Starting test: CrossRefValidation
......................... ForestDnsZones passed test
CrossRefValidation

Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones
......................... DomainDnsZones passed test CheckSDRefDom
......................... DomainDnsZones passed test
CrossRefValidation

Running partition tests on : Schema
......................... Schema passed test CheckSDRefDom
......................... Schema passed test CrossRefValidation

Running partition tests on : Configuration
......................... Configuration passed test CheckSDRefDom
......................... Configuration passed test CrossRefValidation

Running partition tests on : dom01
......................... dom01 passed test CheckSDRefDom
......................... dom01 passed test CrossRefValidation

Running enterprise tests on : dom01.local
Starting test: LocatorCheck
......................... dom01.local passed test LocatorCheck
Starting test: Intersite
......................... dom01.local passed test Intersite

/F was not valid. So right now, I do not have this connected to our network. Do I need to hook this up to an empty router just to get this working? I don't want to put it on our network until I know we're ready to switch over.

Thanks

Michael Netherton

Have you ever connected the nic on this server? The reason I ask is when you do this type of migration or indeed a P2V the IP address of the server isn't automatically applied to the new NIC, especially if its a different model or vendor of NIC. I would also connect the nic up, if you look at your DCDIAG output:

Performing initial setup:
Trying to find home server...
Home Server = SVR01
* Identified AD Forest.
Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

Starting test: Connectivity
[highlight #FCE94F]The host 695d006d-3718-4ceb-b998-8f96c74dab3c._msdcs.dom01.local
could not be resolved to an IP address. Check the DNS server, DHCP,
server name, etc.[/highlight]......................... SVR01 failed test Connectivity

The server is not resolving to an IP address, so;

1: attach the NIC to a switch or router
2: copy the NIC settings from your old server to the new server, you will probably get a dialogue box telling you a NIC already has this IP assigned, igonre this.
3: Reboot (this is a must)
4. Run your tests, eg Test exchange, ping the server by name etc

Bobby,

That was it. I recreated the nic settings and everything is good to go. Thank you very much.

Michael Netherton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back