Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange setup for internal only

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeRoMaX

Technical User
Dec 11, 2001
CA
Can anyone tell me how I can setup Exchange so that it does not send mail out external and only internal.

Thks
Chris

I never remember such things as "where to do this" and "where is that setting now" myself, even after doing it dozens of times, so i often try to use the help functions, using words as smtp, relay, securing, masquerade.

Let me be more specific if my previous question was misleading anyone. What I asking is that currently I have exchange setup and all I want it to do is setup for internal people to exchange mail inside the network. I know that I can restrict external mail for users from send out mail external through smtp but I was wondering if there was a better way than this. And as of now the exchange is able to send mail internally and external. But not able to recieve external mail.

Thks
Chris

so you want to block outbound mail? then the smtp block is the way to go, via the virtual server.

Yes that is what I want to do block off outbound mail. But I don't see an option for smtp block in the virtual server properties.

change the smtp virtual servers tcp port

I tried changing the tcp port and that did the trick. But is there a way to indiciate that the outbound message was undeliverable? Cause I don't want the users to think that it was sent out with any problems.

Chris

I've tried putting internal users in a group and tried to block that group in the connector. But it seems to be able to send out mail even though I modified the registry to check for connector restrictions. Anyone have any ideas how I can go about this?

Chris

Ok I figured out how to block the smtp from sending the mail from my internal exchange. But I have another issue is that I can't send out email from my external exchange that is at another location. Basically I want one internal exchange server and a external exchange server. I'm thinking its because I blocked out the smtp from the internal. But my internal and external exchange servers are on two different domains. Can I just change the smtp of the internal to my external but will that make my internal server send out the email to the internet instead of the external server?

Chris

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back