Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange servers in cluster

Status
Not open for further replies.

backup02

MIS
Nov 19, 2002
US
What is the proper way to backup exchange 2003 servers in a cluster?

Backup the agent through the virtual Exchange server name. That name will always resolve to the machine where Exchange is active, even if it fails over.

I am kind of new to cluser backups. I know i have
1 virtual and 2 servers. Do I have to backup the individual ex1 and ex2 at all or just point to the exvs which will find the active node? Also, How do I configure/install arc agents. One agent per ex server?
Do I have to take the passive down, load on active and vice versa?

Thanks!!!!

A couple of points:

1. What is meant by Exchange 2003 servers in a cluster.

If you mean Exchange 2000 on Windows 2003 servers make sure you are running 9.01 versions.

If you mean Exchange 2003, I am not sure if there is a product that supports that yet (I am not aware if Exchagne 2003 is GA yet).

2. From what I know you will always want to backup through the exchange virtual server. Whichever server is actually the active server at that time should be backed up. If you try to backup the individual nodes, the server exchange server that is active should backup fine while the server that is not active will probably error out.

Hope this helps.

The Exchange agent must be installed on all cluster nodes. Backups should be done using the virtual Exchange server. That name will always resolve to the active node. If you have more than one active Exchange server, then you backup each through its virtual server name.

Hi
To do successful Disaster Recovery (DR) CA insist that the backup must be done using client agent & using Host name Resolution, In case of cluster environment you told to take a backup using the virtual Node Name.

How Disaster Recovery is going to work if we do the backup using virtual Node Name?

Regards,
Mohamdr

Thanks, for the tips. I have been able to backup the exchagne server via the virutual server, but not consistently. I get authentication errors or unable to connect errors and backup fails. Is this the rpc service???

Also, the plot thickens. I had been using trial versions of the exchange agent while waiting for the purchase to go though for the msex agent licences. The trial will run out here very soon....I just found out that Brightstor Storage Resource manger was purchased with exchagne, enterprise backup, and mangement servers. Instead of the regular arc 9 agents...any body have any insights..I've never messed with Storage Resource manager.. I started a new thread today "Storage REsource Manger."
Thanks again for the tips...

Mohamdr,

Backup/Restore of Exchange is not the same as DR of an Exchange server. If all you need to do is secure your Exchange data then you only need the Exchange agent.

If you want the ability to do DR of an Exchange server then you will need to backup the entire machine. Seeing as the Exchange agent does not show itself under the node names when installed on a cluster I think you will still need to back it up using the Exchange virtual server name.

ACiDelic,
I know Backup/Restore of Exchange is not the same as DR of an Exchange server.

Also I know if you want to do a disaster recovery you need to select the entire.

But DR will not work properly unless to do the backup througth client agent.

regards,
mohamdr

I have been trying to backup my exchange 2k3 info stor locally and have not be successful. I can bakcup the brick fine, but when I try to bakcup the info stor I keep getting a failed to receive data from database. Once the job starts it takes 20 minutes to fail or to stop. The job status stays at Calculate Session. I've tried the unique name and change the regristry setting as recommended, but no success. This server is clustered and is part of a SAN. THe weird thing is that I can backup everything via LAN from another server using the client agent just fine. The fact that I can back it up via remote server tells me that the agent is configured correctly......
I can continue to do this but the databases are getting bigger everyday....Any Ideas. I have been messing with this for 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back