Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Server V5.5 Archive Files Not Being Deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksdadguy

Technical User
Mar 16, 2003
US
Hi all:

I have read through quite a few of the posts on this topic, and have went into my Exchange Server settings and disabled the archiving feature, but I am still acumulating files in the exchsrvr\imcdata\in\archive & out\archive directories.

So much so that my C drive ran out of space (3.5MB left) and will now not reboot.

Is there some other setting that will kill these files?

I got ahold of a copy of ERD Commander and will delete some of the older files at this point, but going forward I need some way to killing the files that are acumulating.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KSDadGuy

Did you restart the IS service?

Can't you move something to another drive? Like Exchange or pagefile or SMTP logs?

The IMS service has been restarted numerous times since the change in settings. And even if we moved Exchange or pagefile or other such item to another drive, the problem would most likely still exist. The archive files keep generating and do not go away.

But thanks for your response.

So, just to clarify, you've gone to the Diagnostics Logging tab of every IMS you have installed, you've selected Message Archival in the right-hand pane, and you've selected the 'None' radio button under logging level? And then clicked OK?

And then restarted the IMS, with no errors appearing in the Application Event log for the restart of the service?

I've never heard of any installation where doing this doesn't stop more of the files appearing in IMCDATA\IN\ARCHIVE and IMCDATA\OUT\ARCHIVE (you still have to clear the old ones out manually).

Incidentally, even if the archive files are still appearing in those directories, you can simply delete them by hand (as an interim measure to keep your server running whilst you find the cause of the problem).

Yes, what you have written is what I have done on the Diag pane.

But the files continue to generate/remain.

We ran ERD Commander on the box and freed up about 245MB of space, but now the box will not reboot. I am going in this morning to see what else is giving me grief.

I think we had moved the pagefile to secondary drive about six months ago when this last happened, but I will check on that.

All we need to do is get this machine through the school year when we will update to Exchange 2000.

Thanks,

KSDadGuy

I'd be inclined to delete and recreate the IMS. Make sure you fully document the settings first, though.

ok, I just got in to start looking at the machine. I will probably have to wait until the weekend to do this.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back