Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange server slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcurtis

MIS
Oct 1, 2002
US
My Exchange 5.5 Server is running slow. When I send a message from Outlook it sits in my outbox until I select another folder, like the Inbox.

When I reboot my Exchange server everything runs fine. No errors in Event Viewer. Except for one, it tells me there is only 2MB free when it tries its online defrag, and then terminates. The next message shows where the defrag ran fine.

I checked and my priv.edb is 8GB and my pub.edb is 8MB

Is there a limit on the priv.edb? I thought the IS could be 16GB.

Any help would be appreciated..

IT Support
Jeremy Curtis

jcurtis,

Exchange standard edition has a limit of 16gb for the IS. Enterprise edition is unlimited. You should schedule an offline defrag to release the white space back to the os. You will see a significant difference in reponse time. You may also want to be sure that IS Maintenance is not running during peak hours of the day or that your backups are not running during IS Maintenance which will cause your backup to run slowly and will lengthen the time it is running well into business hours. I hope these help.

dbosley.

How do you do an offline defrag?

Just a standard Windows defrag? Or can you do it through Optimizer?

thanks for your help

Jeremy

Take a look at MS Article Q255035. it's a guide to Exchange Offline Defrags :)

Hope this helps, If someone annoys you, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you'll be a mile away from them, and you'll have their shoes :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back