Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange server is not sending or receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebBreinholt

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
US
Somehow I have stopped the exchange server 2003 from sending or receiving. We were troubleshooting some PCs that weren't able to send, I tried running the Server wizard to make sure that all services were running properly - by removing and reloading the e-mail role. It acted like it was trying to start up the POP3 Service which we are not using. I went through the effort to make sure that the POP3 service is removed, then the wizard ran without a problem. Now the server seems to send NDRs to any outside mail. Inside mail does not get delivered.

I am able to Telnet to the internal exchange server IP address and also the MX address (mail.company.com) and can deposit mail, but I notice that an outgoing mail to the sender address dummy.com is placed in the exchange queue - I assume it is a NDR message.

OWA acts like the Outlook on the local PCs, I can create messages that are not delivered and cannot receive any mail - even those sent to myself.

I have tried setting up new outlook account profiles with IMAP and exchange server access - they are seem to create properly and respond that all folders are up to date, but still no new mail.

The Exchange server appeared to be working properly, services were all running. A best guess is that the mail protocol stacks were "broken'. After spending time with the Microsoft support we finially decided the best thing was to just re-install exchange. That fixed the problem. Everthing works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back