Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange server is annoucing itself as not a valid hostname

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbritton18

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2007
CA
My exchange server 2003 is annoucing itself as cmhaexsvr01.cmhatimmins. This is not a valid hostname. How am I suppose to change this and make it a valid one. Could someone please help me out. Thanks.

Where with our ISP or in the DNS server on our Domain Controller?

it is announcing itself with SMTP. Now I need to change the name of it as mail.cmhact.ca not the name of the server. our domain name. One companies servers will not accept any of our mail coming due to this problem. So I need to figure out how to change this.

In the System Manager, look at the properties of the SMTP server. Go to the Delivery tab and click on Advanced. What do you have as the FQDN?

This is what is in there. cmhaexsvr01.cmhatimmins

Everything should work then? It will take 24 hours to update on everyones DNS correct?

restart the SMTP service and the banner should change right away. test your change by running:

telnet localhost 25

Ok thanks to everyone's help everything is changed and working correctly now. Have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back