Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Server Hardware Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

monksey

IS-IT--Management
Jan 4, 2002
GB
What's the best way to upgrade the hardware platform for my Exchange Server 5.5 machine? It's the only email server in my site, and I want to keep the same machine name and IP address.

HI.

There are many different methods.

Here is what I would have try:

* Schedule enough downtime - this kind of tasks can take a long time.

* Backup the current server using ALL 3 methods:
1) Normal exchange database backup.
2) Brick level exchange backup of all mailboxes.
3) Offline backup - stop Exchange services and copy all EXCHSRVR folders to another disk location or tape (note the amount of disk space and time needed).

* Prepare the new server - check hardware, verify you have all needed drivers, make a test install to test networking and backup, etc.

* Install drivers for SCSI adapter of the new server on the existing one. This will hopefuly allow loading a duplicate of the server later without the BSOD.

* Duplicate the existing server to the hard disks of the new one. This can be done in several different methods, like GHOST, backup&restore, etc..
It is recommended to create a new primary 8gb NTFS partition on the new disk, then copy the existing C partition to it.
Duplicate other partitions as needed.
If you have a RAID 5, then you can use backup and restore.

* Try to boot the duplicated copy on the new server then add and configure additional drivers (display, networking, backup, etc).

Again - this is not the only way, but I would have try this first.
In any case - make sure you have excellent backups, and enough time for the proccess.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Thanks a lot. I didn't know wether I could simply do a disk to disk copy. Won't NT get upset when it tries to boot on the new server. We are going from mirrored disks to RAID 5.
At least this way I will always have a working Exchange Server even if the new installation fails. I have heard about exmerge to migrate mailboxes after I have built a new exchange server, does this mean I would have to change the name of my server ?

If you have any more ideas I would appreciate them.

Thanks again

Check out this MS Article: Q155216. It describes a pure hardware change in detail.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back