Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange server backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kuruvee

MIS
Jul 30, 2002
KW
I am using exchange server 5.5 with SP 3. The exchange server backup(ntbackup) usually takes about 1.5 hours but on some days it gets over within 27 minutes and the log shows no errors. I hope someone can explain the reasons

Thanks in advance

are you doing full backups every day, or incrementals and differentials as well?

then it could depend on other factors...server load (available memory and/or cpu), network load (if your backup media isn't local)...have you checked the files or ever tried to do a restore to an offline server?

Not too sure of the scale of the operation, but well worth considering a third-party agent-based solution such as Vertias or Arcserve.

I agree with Bronto -- if your server is not busy one day .. the logfiles are not as extensive and far fewer ... each logfile (by default) is 5 megs in size... the less changes that are made .. the fewer logs you have.

If you have a particularly busy day -- such as .. you have added mailboxes, distribution lists, deleted mailboxes .. changed permissions to a container, added a custom recipient, added a delegate to a mailbox or one of its containers.. anything like that will generate an entry in the logs... - then your backups will take longer.. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back