Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange server 5.5 project got dump on me, HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2003
US
Current:
I came aboard with this company and they have NT 4.0 & Exchange Server 5.5 and it is working perfect.

Now a server wz donated to us, and they want me to install W2K server & Exchange 5.5. And they know that I have no knowledge of this installation. OK I said, W2K server, SP2, Exchange Server 5.5 and ADC are installed (by the way with a new domain). But how do I know it works? What else do I need to check? I read all if not, most of the articles about setting up w2k & es 5.5. How do I test this? PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME, it is all GREEK to me. Thanks in Advance! Shady

Is this to upgrade the current server to W2K or add a server to the site? Is the current exchange 5.5 implementation integrated with active directory or running stand alone?

If it is to add a server to the site you can add a mailbox to the new server. Set the mailbox owner to your user ID. Then configure Outlook to look at the new server and use the alias of the new mailbox you setup. You should be able to send and receive mail both internally and externally via this new account. If not then you have some configuration problems.

Thanks firemanf29,

It is a new server and a stand alone. I was able to install ADC and have a connection agreement from windows to exchange.

I did try sending an email but it failed going out. I tried sending email from another computer using with the same domain (I don't know if this makes a different). It also failed.

Any more tips from you or anybody is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi!

Do you see all msexchange services running?

Did you configure Internet Mail Service?

When you create a recipients. Under the email address does the smtp address correspond to your actual domain name?

We have many servers setup like yours.

There is no active directory entry from Exchange 5.5 done everything is manual.

Good luck

Thanks Aboulet

Do you see all msexchange services running?
>>Yes

Did you configure Internet Mail Service?
>>No not yet, HOW?

When you create a recipients. Under the email address does the smtp address correspond to your actual domain name?
>>No

We have many servers setup like yours.
>>I can really use some MAJOR help here!

There is no active directory entry from Exchange 5.5 done everything is manual.
>>I did install AD & ADC, I had it set "From Windows to Exchange". I can create recipients from Active Directory and it automatically replicates it in Exchange 5.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back