Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange server 5.5 on nt 4.0, external email reply bounce back 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

neressa

IS-IT--Management
Nov 2, 2004
JM
Some client on my network, when they receive an external email. And they try to reply to it, it returned undeliverd.
Please lend me some asistance.

Please state what is listed on the error when the message is returned. It could be Antivirus, firewall, servers issues, outlook problems. Really need more information.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: CDC Contact
Sent: 11/10/2004 10:03 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

Elizabeth Perozo (test@test1.com <mailto:test@test1.com>) on 11/10/2004 10:03 AM
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Jamaica Private ;l=INTERNETSERV-041110180314Z-4068

Can your user send the user a new email? What version of Outlook? Sorry I should have already asked these questions.

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Hi

I am experiencing the same problem - it has only started happening over the last 2/3 weeks.

I am able to send external email to 99% of people with no problems it is just a couple of addresses that I am having problems with.

I have no problems receiving emails from bob@problem.com however when I reply I get the recipient name not recognized (as in nemesis post). If I send a new email message I get the same reply. This is the same message I get if I send mail to anybody @problem.com

The person concerned @problem.com tells me he is receiving mail from everybody but me.

How can the recipient name not be recognized if the account exists and is receiving mail?

I am using outlook 2002

Any help would be greatly appreciated

No the same happens when these two individuals send the user a new email. This really happen some times. I am using Outlook 2003. Mark you they send and receive mail ok. But some times the person they use to send mail to just start bouncing back.

Sounds like a spoof to me. It sounds like it the other company is sending the name under an alias. To be sure, tell the company to check with their event logs for the ExchangeIMC and see if they are receiving the email to bob@problem.com and check that the spelling is correct.

I don't know it looks like they may be re-directing email and it's not set up on their end.. I don't know. Something is fishy.

Dyadmin are you talking about phishing or something else?

No, Phishing is the task of trying to hook someone into beliving something else when it reality its another. Like the paypal deal a while back. There was this scam that was a "official paypal" email saying they were going to be re-varifying everyone's accounts so if a user who received this email they would click on this link and the link would go to somewhere else that looks, acts and seems like paypal. The user would then enter his particulars and say that the person is now verified, when in reality, the user just gave up all his secret information to another server retreiving paypal id's. The end user was fooled into thinking that it was paypal trying to verify information but it wasn't. Sad story. Side tip: always use your head when replying to email. ;) You all know that of course!

As for your issue it looks like a spoofing measure that the user is employing. I wonder if the external user is using outlook express and using another provider for its email. If he is using outlook express, then he can easily spoof his address and when you reply to him he's not on the list for his email domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back