Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Server 5.5 doesn't receive emails. SMTP problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tron2k3

IS-IT--Management
Aug 28, 2003
PT
I have a Exchange Server 5.5 with SP4 installed.
the problem is that it sends messages to the email relay server on the ISP, and those messages reach the destiny, the problem is that it doesn't get any new messsages from the relay server on the ISP.

i figured that it might be a SMTP configuration problem, so i open the Exchange Server Administration console, and clicked on the server name, then &quot;Connections&quot; and then &quot;Internet Email Services&quot;. It gave me an unexpected error messagem saying &quot;SMTP module cannot be found -> options -> <Abort>, <Retry>, <Ignore>&quot;.

that error msg can be my problem? or it have nothing to do with it?

where i configure the ip address of the relay server?

sorry if those questions are too basic but im a newbie on Exchange.

thanks for the help,

Tron

Sounds like you might wanna reinstall the IMS (Internet Mail Service). Sounds like something happened to it.

You configure the IP address of the relay server in that area. Open it and select the Connections. Under Message Delivery select &quot;Forward all messages to host:&quot; and enter the DNS name or IP address in the field below it.

yes.. that might be it. i can install Internet Mail Services module alone? if so, how? :)

thanks for the help.

/Tron

Open the admin tool. Open &quot;Connections&quot; so the IMS shows on the right. Select it and delete it. Then go to FILE, NEW OTHER, Internet Mail Service and configure up a new one.

J

I faced this problem when updating to sp4. During a recent crash i reloaded every thing and did a offline backup restoration using a older backup created before creating the imc. Then reapplied sp4 and recreated the connector the problem was solved. beware offline backup is slightly tricky. my info store service was not starting i could start it after much troubleshooting.

well, i deleted the Internet Mail Service and i created a new one.. File -> New Other -> Internet Mail Service....

but when all finished, when i open the IMS the problem prevails... Extended SMTP module cannot be found.

well, i think im going to call MS$ and ask for support. i hope i don't have to reinstall the full thing.

any other sugestions? :)

/Tron

Sorry. Not a clue. Sounds like something got messed up somewhere. You should be able to reinstall the IMS and reconfigure. If there's anything else in the Event Viewer you might be able to use that to find some documentation on MS's website to help you further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back