Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange server 5.5 compatibility with win2k 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

uji

MIS
Oct 4, 2000
MY
hi...i have exchange server 5.5 in winnt 4 enterprise edition . But it resides in the old server..we are planning to move to new server. My questions are :

1.How do i move the mailbox and public folder form the old server to the new server in nt4/win2k(is there any compatibility issue with win2k)with minimum downtime..iread about the move mailbox method which have minimum downtime.
And what about internet mail connections in the old server to the new server?

2.I setup my exchange to receive external mail using proxy and dns. if i move my exchange to the new server..how should i configure my exchange to connect with dns and proxy?

Sorry if the questions are very lenghty...hope you could help me out..

[sig][/sig]

I've tested an Exchange 5.5 under win2k. Works like a charm. However, your first step would be to get on that AD stuff and make sure you understand it. If you only have on box (PDC) this should not be a problem. I assume your directory structure would be small. But if not, start desiging your AD with your PDC and down to your BDC and exchange. I would not advice to upgrade your exchange to win2k unlease you know what you are doing. Build yourself another box from scratch. Install 5.5 in the same site then move users to the new box. Then retire the old one.

Hope this helps.

thanks xcell....but i don't understand what is AD?? and my current exchange 5.5 is in nt4 enterprise edition and is a bdc...are you suggesting that i install win2k in the new server and then only move the mailbox (in nt 4.0)to the new server in win2k?? hope you could explain to me...if so, is there any additional procedure in the new server (win2k)..
What about replication of the public folder??could you please explain to me the steps??

thank you xcell...
[sig][/sig]

Uji,

Active Directory. I don't know how complex is your network and how many users you have. But I assume you are in the migration process to win2k. The procedure is to start with your PDC, then BDC and down to workstation. The problem you will be facing is that your Exchange is on a BDC. Leave the AD in mixed mode. Since you said, your current exchange is on an old box now it's time to create a new server with win2k and install Exchange on it in the same site as your existing exchange. After that all you have to do just move your mailboxes to the new server.

How many users you will have conneting to your public folder should decide whather you need replication.
With the new server in place, this should not be a problem at all.

No other procedures are required in win2k other then you being very familiar to AD.

xcell...since i'm not very familiar with win2k and AD, i will go for nt4 for the new box.....and the migration to win2k will be held but later after i study AD...

i have 3 hundred users...i have lots of public folders...
since i will stick to nt4..do i have to configure anything for public folder replications to the new server or will the exchange do it for me ?

after i move the exchange to the new server, i will try to promote my BDC (exchange) to PDC ...so that i can migrate to win2k like u said :)

thanks xcell...

[sig][/sig]

Hi again,

Looks like you will need a replication connector installed. Exchange will not do that for you but should not be hard to configure one.

As I explained earlier, I am sure there are people that will disagree with me but I will not put my exchange on a PDC. I found more bad things then good things.

But if that's what you want, should work fine.

hi xcell....
but my servers are within 1 site. But i thought the replication connector is for between sites. Is there any procedures to replicte all public folders between servers in 1 site?

i did this - in the old server,
under folders ->public folders -> under Replicas tab -> i add the new server under 'server' list to 'replicate folders to' list . is this method correct? i only read the help files..

and the distribution list...in its properties under general tab -> expension servers ->do i have to choose 'any servers in site' or the new server name..because i have to shut down the old server

thanks again...

[sig][/sig]

uji,

I'm doing the same thing you are. I have a 5.5 SP3 server running on Win2K. We're not ready to deploy our active directory environment just yet. So the Win2K server is acting like another NT server. It's working fine. [sig]<p> Mike Hillwig<br><a href=mailto:mike@hypermike.com>mike@hypermike.com</a><br><a href= done more R5 deployments than I care to think about.[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back