Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Server 2003 not able to see the network ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grajek

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2006
US
I have been battling a problem with my exchange server 2003. The Exchange Server, that is also a backup DC, is unable to see the network but still functions as an Exchange Server. The email gets delivered, people are able to login from the road and retrieve their email, but when I try to view the network from the Exchange box I am unable to see any other computers, no computers can see it and am unable to add new user email addresses through AD. The event logs generate 2 errors all the time:

Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event Category: RFR Interface
Event ID: 9074

Description: The Directory Service Referral interface failed to service a client request. RFRI is returning the error code:[0x3f0].

Event Source: MSExchangeSA
Event Category: RFR Interface
Event ID: 9143

Description: Referral Interface cannot contact any Global Catalog that supports the NSPI Service. Clients making RFR requests will fail to connect until a Global Catalog becomes available again. After a Domain Controller is promoted to a Global Catalog, it must be rebooted to support MAPI Clients.

I can ping other computers and printers on the network, I can ping it from other computers, I can use remote desktop to log into other computers and I can remote desktop to it from other computers. I can replicate to and from it with the other DC and can see it from the DNS manager. All security and permissions are correct.

Has anyone had this problem or heard of it? Any suggestions are appreciated

Thanks
Grajek

I am not running WINS in this domain. Do you think configuring WINS would solve the problem? I didn't think WINS was all that important but I am just guessing. :)

Thanks

Most likely yes. WINS (Windows Internet Naming Service) resolves Windows network computer names (also known as NetBIOS names) to Internet IP addresses, allowing Windows computers on a network to easily find and communicate with each other. I think the fact that you dont have a WINS server on your network is causing the problem. The fact that the computers cant translate the computer name may be causing the issue.

My WINS server is on my main Domain Controller and im about to setup a secondary WINS server on my Domain Controller in my other site so that I can ensure everything is running and able to resolve names correctly in the enterprise.

Wm. Reynolds
RRWDS | TxPSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

I Tried to make the machine my WINS server and then made my primary DC the WINS server. I think you may be right about the WINS so I think I have to bite the bullet and demote and the box and rejoin it to the network. Would having this box as a secondary DNS cause this problem?

Thanks for your help

Happy New Year!!!

You can not promote or demote any server that has exchange running on it. If you do exchange will cease to function. Microsoft recommends you install exchange on a member only server and not a domain controller, but if you install it on a domain controller then you can NEVER demote it otherwise you will mess up exchange and it wont run.

You should be able to install WINS on any server really and make it a primary. Just choose Add/Remove Role on the Manage my server window when it pops up. And then ensure that all your computers point to it as a WINS server.

What version of windows server are you running? Windows 2003 R2, or what?

Wm. Reynolds
RRWDS | TxPSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

I am running Windows Server 2003 on all my boxes. The configuration use to work. But, I think it might have stopped working when I all the servers upgraded to server 2003. Before it was a mixed forest(2002&2003). I will need to move the Exchange Server to a member machine like you said and rebuild or reconfigure the Exchange Server.

Thanks for the info on Exchange being on a "member" machine. I didn't know that.

Thanks again for your help.

Are a in Austin? I am over at Texas Justice Court Training Center by the Capital.

Thanks again
Grajek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back