Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange sending to incorect users -URGENT-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 4, 2002
US
Hi,

I am running Exchange 2003, and I have found that when some folks send mail to one user, it goes to someone else.
I have checked the server info on the users, and everything looks correct. When I send and email to the effected users and I check the properties of that user, (in outlook,) it shows that it is being sent to another user. This is happening with random users, and I can find nowhere to make a change.

Thanx,

Bruce

How exactly do the Outlook properties tell you that it is being delivered elsewhere?

When I add a user to and email via the global address list, I right click on the user and click properties, the dialog box pops up with the username in the banner, and the wrong user information in the fields.

I sent a test to the identified users, and the mail gets sent to the bad user, but when I look at his mail, there is nothing there.

Thanx,

Bruce

I sent a test to the identified users, and the mail gets sent to the bad user, but when I look at his mail, there is nothing there" - can you explain this bit a bit more concisely please - Thanks

example

send new mail
click to:
browse to use stacy
click the options box select receive and read recipt
send mail

I get a message from the Administrator:

Your message

To: Kathrine McGarry
Subject: test
Sent: 8/28/2008 10:50 AM

was delivered to the following recipient(s):

Kathrine McGarry on 8/28/2008 10:50 AM

Now I see this went to another user, not the bad username in the properties box.

Please see attached doc

Sorry about the last post...

example

send new mail
click to:
browse to use stacy
click the options box select receive and read recipt
send mail

I get a message from the Administrator:

Your message

To: Kathrine McGarry
Subject: test
Sent: 8/28/2008 10:50 AM

was delivered to the following recipient(s):

Kathrine McGarry on 8/28/2008 10:50 AM

Now I see this went to another user, not the bad username in the properties box.

The user in the properties box is Brian

Thanx,

Bruce

I looked at the link noveyron posted, and was looking at my exchange server manager, when I clicked on th Default Global Address Lists, it is empty????

If you have not realized by now, I am brand new to this.

Thanx,

Bruce

In an attempt to figure this out, I deleted Brian, he is gone from the Computers and Users space, but his mailbox is still there...I thought I selected to delete him completly, is there an easy way to delete the mailbox? There is not a delete option.

Thanx,

Mailbox may go away, but the store still holds it. You need to purge it from the store (rightclick mailbox, task>purge). But you may have to wait. I usually delete the night before and purge the next morning, so I'm never sure of the timing for it.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

OK,

I downloaded the MAPI editor from MS, when I run it and look at the mail boxes I see the bad users have a PT_STRING8 (PR_EMAIL_ADDRESS) of

/O=LITCHFIELDSD/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=GMS

Looking at a good user, the srting shoul look like this:

/O=LITCHFIELDSD/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=BLAMBERT

When I try to edit the proerty, it lets me change it, but it will not save it????

I can not find a save feature anywhere.

Thanx,

Bruce

cckens:

Just where is this:

"Mailbox may go away, but the store still holds it. You need to purge it from the store (rightclick mailbox, task>purge). But you may have to wait. I usually delete the night before and purge the next morning, so I'm never sure of the timing for it. "

I went into Exchange System Manager then

domain
Administrative Groups
Servers
MAIL Name
First Storage Group (MAIL Name)
Mailbox Store (MAIL Name)
Mailboxes

When I right click I get the following options:

Run Cleanup Agent
All Tasks >
View >
New Window From Here
Refresh
Export List
Help

Purge is greyed out, where do I disable it to purge it out?

Thanx,

Bruce

This sounds like a delegate issue. The user you're getting the receipt from is the delegate of the user you sent the message to. Deleting the delegate mailbox doesn't fix this. The delegate needs to be removed from the mailbox.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Did you run Exchange Tasks to delete the individual's mailbox? This is all dependant on the individual mailbox, not the Mailboxes folder that you found. Drill down one more layer and find the user's mailbox. If it has a red dot on the icon, then chances are you can purge it. If you didn't then the mailbox is still associated somewhere. I've only seen the purge command un-grey when the mailbox has been removed by the Exchange Tasks-Delete mailbox.
Rightclick User Mailbox (aka username)
Select Exchange Tasks
Follow the Delete Mailbox procedure

And judging from the previous posts, I'm inclined to agree with Pat.

Try (in ADU&C) checking to see if anyone has mailbox rights, forwards or send-on-behalf rights (Exchange General tab>Delivery Options).
There has got to be some rhyme or reason to this conundrum...

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

I'm sorry, but I am not sure where the mailbox you are pointing me to is. I am in the Exchange System Manager

domain
Administrative Groups
Servers
MAIL Name
First Storage Group (MAIL Name)
Mailbox Store (MAIL Name)
Mailboxes
Users Mail Box (I neglected to
put this line in before)

How do I get the RED DOT on it?
I think I need to delete the mailbox but that is not an option in this view, could you tell me how to get there?

Thanx,

Hi Again,

I have deleted the users, and deleted them.

I am rebooting and when it comes up I will check and see that the users are gone before I add them back.

I was told that if I don't wait for a permenant purge (by the system in 30 days???) that the system might see the old information and use it...is this true and if it is how do I force the permanent purge?

Thanx,

Bruce

Just to be sure, create a new fat side Outlook profile. (Control Panel -> Mail). Don't delete your current one, just create a new fat side profile. Don't use cache mode.

You may find your Nickname file is fooling you into thinking Stacy still has an account.

This will also help eliminate a contact from getting in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back