Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange send mail but does not receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

fend78

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2003
US
Hello,

I just setup exchange 2000, everthing seemed to be working ok, I can send and receive locally. But I don't receive any e-mail sent from the outside. I can send but just not receive.

Is there any other configuration I have to setup to make it receive?

did you change the MX records at your domain host to point to your static public IP??

Yes my mx records are pointing to my static ip.

Your static IP is configured on a router connected to the internet? If so, have you setup relaying of port 25 traffic to your internal network server (ie Exchange or Mail Gateway).

Claudius (What certifications??)

What sort of messages are external users getting when they send email to your domain? The DSN that they receive will probably have the clue to the problem.

You may want to check your DNS records just to be sure that the MX record change had propogated. From a PC external to your network, try doing:

nslookup
set q=mx
yourdomain.com

It should return the name and IP address of your mail exchanger, whatever you're using as an SMTP gateway (should be your external static IP on the firewall).

Next you'll want to test to make sure that you can connect to the server from an external system. So go to an external PC and do:

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25
ehlo somedomain.com
quit
quit

This tests to see if you can open a connection to the mail server on port 25 from an external system. If you can, then you should be good, assuming that the messages actually make it as far as your server.

Yes I setup relaying of port 25 actually I even put the ip address of the mail server in DMZ just to try it out.

I am using dynamic dns and when I do nslookup set q=mx it shows as some address that belongs to my dynamic DNS host.

Not my static address. But I'm sure my mx record in my dynamic dns host are pointing to my public IP.

When I email a message I get no errors so I know the mail is going somewhere. It just not getting to my mail server.

B Wilson above suggested that you check your Host A and MX records at your IP. Just to make sure, we are talking not about the records in your sever DNS but that of whoever provides your internet access. That was my problem and if not configured correctly nobody can reach you. Go to trace, route, ping at and do an express lookup of your exchange server external ip address and see what the records looke like. If you don't see your server, then the records at the ip that point at you are probably not right. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back