Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange SBS 2003 Added Second Email Domain. Get error 554 5.1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekguy4

Technical User
Aug 15, 2011
I added a second email domain to our SBS 2003 Exchange server. Domain A (original) works fine, send, receive, etc.. all good. Domain B (added) wont receive email from outside network. In house you can send and receive email to and from either domain. If I go to Hotmail or any other public provider and send an email to domain B, I get a smtp error '554 5.1.2'

I have double checked every setting and it all seems good. The MX records appear to be correct. Both domains 'a' records point to same IP, the MX record are mail.A.com and the other is mail.B.com

(I added the second domain in recipient policies and it is checked)

any tips would be helpful

Thanks much

When I send an email internally from a outlook client user a, if I send to user b with the domain b email address they receive it fine and vice versa. I used the mxtoolbox dx's and the error for domain b is:

554 5.1.2 Recipient address rejected: User unknown [62 ms]
QUIT
221 smtp-gateway.B.local closing connection [78 ms]

any thoughts?

telnet doesn't seem to be working, if i telnet connect to my exchange server which ends in ip .5 once connected, if I type helo I get a reply from the server ending with .6

I just inherited what is going on here and haven't figured out what is what yet... .6 is the server controlling Symantec Endpoint protection, is there any setting changes that need to be made in Symantec?

telnet worked fine internally, I unfortunately dont have anyway of testing it externally from here

554 5.1.2 Recipient address rejected: User unknown
SMTP -> ERROR: RCPT not accepted from server: 554 5.1.2 Recipient address rejected: User unknown

i really have no way of running telnet externally from here... when I run the Microsoft connectivity analyzer I get this:

Testing inbound SMTP mail flow for domain
m@B.com.
ExRCA failed to test inbound SMTP mail flow.

Test Steps

Attempting to retrieve DNS MX records for domain
B.com.
One or more MX records were successfully retrieved from DNS.

Additional Details
MX Records Host mail.B.com, Preference 10
Testing Mail Exchanger mail.B.com.
One or more SMTP tests failed for this Mail Exchanger.

Test Steps

Attempting to resolve the host name mail.B.com in DNS.
The host name resolved successfully.

Additional Details
IP addresses returned: X.X.X.X
Testing TCP port 25 on host mail.B.com to ensure it's listening and open.
The port was opened successfully.

Additional Details
Banner received: 220 smtp-gateway.spacefitters.local ESMTP Symantec Messaging Gateway
Attempting to send a test e-mail message to m@B.com using MX mail.B.com.
Delivery of the test message failed.

Additional Details
The server returned status code 554 - Transaction failed. The server response was: 5.1.2 Recipient address rejected: User unknown
Exception details:
Message: Transaction failed. The server response was: 5.1.2 Recipient address rejected: User unknown
Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException
Stack trace:
at System.Net.Mail.RecipientCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String response)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception)
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpMessageTest.PerformTestReally()

Banner received: 220 smtp-gateway.spacefitters.local...
Problem #1 is that you're exposing .local to the outside world.

ESMTP Symantec Messaging Gateway

That's probably your issue there. Symantec probably needs to be made aware of your new SMTP domain[/quote]

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn. Come say hi, look for a job, have some fun.
Pat Richard MVP

i just checked and the banner for the other domain doesn't show the .local, it shows as it should.. I don't have the password to the Symantec management console, not sure who or if anyone does

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back