Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange restore problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

leshill

MIS
Sep 25, 2002
GB
I'm trying to resolve a number of issues regarding Priv & Pub database problems following a restore. I find that although the Log files, Pat files & edb's are restore and the registry key (restore in Progress) contains all the correct information for both the DS & the IS the logs fail to reply. The first log starts and stops at 2-4% saying log file corrupt. I've tried several restore sessions including other log files. Circular logging is turned off, Running the Eseutil /r fails while running Eseutil /p fixes all issues. Once I've removed all the logs and ran the Isinteg - patch both the IS and DS start. Eseutil /p find a number of issues which I'm unsure about. Does any body know were I can find some good information regarding these types of errors only I've tried MicroSoft and can find nothing helpful.

P.S This box used to have GroupShield installed and I think this may be the issue.

delete the Restore in Progress key .. delete Checkpoint files and try to start the services again....

DS first
IS Second.
When deleting Checkpoint files.. ensure all services are stopped.

For more Troubleshooting steps.. I have written a FAQ: faq10-2260 ...

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

I would also be interested in simply what services to turn off -- on the 5.5 exchange server -- in order to just COPY the edb files for DS and IS

backups fail to get them more than not

if I could take down the server once a week -- get a snaphot of the files --

at least that would be something

the two edb files below to the IS.
When doing a backup .. the System Attendant must still be running. When shutting down the IS -- the IMS should stop with it. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Hi Alshrim,

I'm note sure I've put the problem across very well so I'll try again..

After doing a online restore I see the restore in progress key in the registry for the IS & the DS and the values in the keys are correct...If I try and start the DS it fails with Event ID 194 unable to reply the first log file. If I delete the log,chk files and the restore in progress it still fails to start. This is becuase the database is inconsistant as show by eseutil /mh dir.edb.

Prior to deleteing the above files I tried to run the soft recovery option (eseutil /r) and this also failed. If I run the eseutil /p and repair the database all works fine.

I've run the esefile.exe /s against the log file and it comes back with lots of page error.... I need to try and understand why my log files are always currupt,,this happend to log files from any of my backups...

Ok.. when doing a full restore of an exchange server.. when restoring the DS and the IS together... the DS restoration must... repeat MUST be OLDER than the IS restore... usually I restore a DS 2 weeks OLDER than the IS. Trust me, I know it sounds retarded.. but it is because the version of the DS is newer than the IS .. and finds that the log files don't jive.

Once you've restored an OLDER DS .. and then the most RECENT IS, when the DS starts, it plays back the logs from the IS and rebuilds itself.

Again, I know this sounds weird .. but it works.

Have you looked at the FAQ? Click there ----> FAQ10-2260 <---

I mention all of this in there.
I have found Exchange recovery very very finicky and researched it extensively for nearly a month just to write that FAQ.

I use Aol instant Messenger: Alshrim .. contact me anytime - i'm happy to help. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Hi Alshrim,

I'm using a product called Vbak, it talks to the Exchange server direct using API calls and does not have an agent. The process is this:- A connection is made, A pipe is established for means of pulling the data to the Vbak server, a request for the DS database is made followed by the pat file and then the log files. once complete it then goes onto the Priv.edb, priv.pat and the transaction logs. other servers backed up using Vbak work fine and restore fine. This server however does not, and the errors defined above tend to happen.

I need to try and establish if the Exchange server is trashing the logs or if Vbak is trashing the logs during backup.

cheers,

les.

Easy way to try and figure that out is to shut the services down -- it will commit all the changes within exchange to the Databases.

At this point .. Remove all of your log files, and move them somewhere else. DON'T DELETE THEM.. just move them. move the checkpoint files to the same location ...

Now .. your exchange is up to date, and fresh.

Turn the server back on .. and a new set of logs will be started.

Now.. let the server run for 24 hours. Then let VBak do it's work. IF the logs are corrupt -- you know it's vbak doing it.

But know this.. IF you are restoring a DS from the backup set that is the same as your IS -- it will come back as corrupted.. but it isn't... it's newer! SO the versions don't jive. Which is why i mention.. when restoring a server .. always use a DS restoration about 2 weeks older than your Current IS backups. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Hi Alshrim,

I understand what your saying with regards to the logs files but dont understand your theory.

once a full backup completes the log files are purged anyway and new log files are then created. However these log file also show problems when trying to perform a restore.

Each time a restore is performed Vbak only uses the log files that where created as part of that backups. Running esefile.exe utility against the log files shows page errors, however running esefile against known good log files also shows page errors so I'm unsure as to the information being displayed.

With regards to the dates of both the DS and the IS this is not the cause of this problem. Both the DS & thus the IS fail to start with the same error &quot;Unable to reply the transaction logs&quot; and since the DS must be running in order for the IS to start it must be something to do with the logs themselve's and not the databases.

Once I trash the logs for both the DS & the IS and perform a repair all works fine. Any other ideas?

Are you deleting the checkpoint files first before trying to start the services. This is an essential step.

To address your ESEUTIL woes, in the registry there is a Restore In Progress key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\SYSTEM\SERVICES\MSEXCHANGEIS\RestoreInProgress

Delete that before doing the eseutil.exe -- that will allow the util to run. Before running, the util checks the registry for the last known restored log file .. and that file usually isn't there... If you delete the key (Yes it's safe to do so -- i read it in Technet -- so feel confident that you are not wrecking anything), the util will not have that reference and the util will run.

I can only tell ya what worked for me. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Hi All,

The problem was caused by a IS database problem that could not be resolved. An Eseutil /p fixed the issue.

cheers All.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back