Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange/outlook To Field problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjburkha

Programmer
Jul 30, 2004
US
Hi,

I hope this isn't too mundane, but I have been searching for an hour, and can't find any information on this.

I am using SBS and exchange 2003 with outlook 2003.

In sbs I create a user larry, with a display name Larry Smith.

Under email addresses I add the accounts larry@domain, and larrySmith@domain.

In outlook, an email to larry@domain and larrySmith@domain both show a to field "Larry Smith" This is not cool to me.

My question is, how can I make the to field in the email on outlook 2003 show the address the email was sent to?

So if larry is looking at his email, he can see it was sent to larry@domain and not larrySmith@domain??

I posted this in the exchange forum because I don't think this is an outlook issue, I don't see any checkboxes that say "translate email address to display name" or anything similar. I also don't see that checkbox on exchange, but there are many more screens on exchange.

Any help would, of course, be greatly appriciated.

By default, the 'To' fields gets the info from the Display Name on the server. If this is a mailbox with an extra alias, it will show the same name for both.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Have a look at the shop @ !

Marc,

That is the problem I am having, I'm looking for a way to not have the same name for both. Im looking for a way for the to field to show the email address the email was sent to, not a resolved name. Microsoft is being to smart for me in this instance, I want the to field to show larry@domain.com, not resolve to Larry Smith. I want to turn off auto resolve.

You say, "by default". Does this mean there are other options, and can you suggest how to access these options?

Thanks for your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back