Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange / Outlook deployment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrub

Technical User
Apr 13, 2001
CA
I would like to use Outlook in a server/client environment whereby there is one server database that all the clients access. I don't need any email capabilities - I simply want one Outlook database (pst?) that several people in an office can connect to.

Is the above possible without using Exchange? or Do I need Exchange and Outlook together to do this?

I'd appreciate your expert opinion.

Cheers,

Scrub

If I take your question absolutely literally, then I'll assume that the hypothetical pst file you mention has already been archived from another email system and all you need is for multiple clients to be able to "connect" to it.

In that narrow case, then the answer is yes. You need to share the volume on the network where the pst file resides, assign proper permissions if needed, then let each Outlook client use the File>Import function over the network to access and restore the entire pst file to their client, or use the filtering capabilities in the Import function to target specific files to Import.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back