Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange on DC, want to remove DC role 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttrsux

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2004
US
Hi,

I have a Domain Controller with Exchange 2003 running on it. I want to remove the DC role (Active Directory) but keep Exchange on it. Is that possible? I guess I wouldn't mind reinstalling Exchange -- I have backups of all the Exchange info. I'm trying to save a trip to the colocation facility... :p

Thanks!
T

For the Exmerge error: check to see if your admin accout has "deny" checked for the SendAs/ReceiveAs permissions..

If so uncheck it and try Exmerge again.

As far as forklifting the exchange DB to the new (same name) domain.

If I understand you have an entirely new forest/domain with the same name and new accounts (same name though)

mounting the old DB in the new exghange server won't be a big deal but none of the account sids will match.
You'd have to re-associate all the mailboxes with the new AD accounts.

New accounts/mailboxes and using Exmerge to export/import the mail may be the best way to go with the small number of accounts you have.

Let me know if I'm wrong.

Thanks Zelandakh, exmerge was by far the easiest tool for the job! I ended up backing up all 7 .PSTs, reformatting everything and reimported the .PSTs... worked perfect w/o a hitch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back