Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange on DC, want to remove DC role 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttrsux

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2004
US
Hi,

I have a Domain Controller with Exchange 2003 running on it. I want to remove the DC role (Active Directory) but keep Exchange on it. Is that possible? I guess I wouldn't mind reinstalling Exchange -- I have backups of all the Exchange info. I'm trying to save a trip to the colocation facility... :p

Thanks!
T

Oops, forgot some specs. Current DC/Exchange server is W2k3 Enterprise SP1 and my future DC, which is already in place is W2k3 Standard R2.

I'm thinking my plan of action will be to remove cert services, run dcpromo, then uninstall Exchange and reinstall it. Might have to uninstall Exchange before the dcpromo... no idea though.

I don't know if that will work or not but, if you're going to try it, definitely do the Exchange uninstall before the dcpromo. Exchange does not like having the DC role removed one bit.

I had some other info and posted a thread in the Windows 2003 Server forum, but the topic made it back to the Exchange again! [a href="[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1247510&page=1"[/URL] target="_blank"] --- i'm not good at html as you can see.

As you can see, I'm in a bit of a pickle... (sigh)

I'd say transfer the FMSO roles to another box and leave alone!!

The only real way is to swing the data to a new box, uninstall Exchange, DC promo down, install Exchange, swing it back and hope it all works. That a whole lot of worry.

Could I just reinstall Exchange and once everyone connects via RPC over HTTP, all their email will sync with the server? This would almost seem too easy! There are only 7 users and the mailboxes aren't that big at all.

Our standard procedure for Exchange on DC's is to move the FSMO roles to a new DC, move the users and public folders to a new temp exchange server.

Uninstall exchange, demote it and rebuild as a clean exchange server (no DC)from bare metal.

58sniper, are you referring to sscherin's comment?

Everyone thx for your feedback. I have a test exchange server in place and am trying it out today. Will post results.

Thanks again!

When I perform the transfer, will I lose functionality on the original DC? People are still using the original. The word transfer makes me think it's moving the FSMOs to the new DC vs. COPYING them.

BTW, I'm going off of the following website:

Also, When I opened AD users/computers and connected to the new DC, I had to do so via IP address as the new DC is not on the same network, although I've opened/allowed ALL traffic between the two networks. When I right-click on new domain and go to Operations Master, the status of operations master says: ERROR, and below that it says: The current operations master is offline, the role cannot be transferred. -- DO I TRANSFER ROLES FROM THE ORIGINAL DC OR THE FUTURE/NEW DC?

Another note, hopefully this will elaborate: The original server and the new server are on different IP networks, so COPYING the FSMO roles to the new server won't cause conflicts... but I am unsure if the FSMO "transfer" MOVES the roles or COPIES them.

Ok, this is all beginning to seem like a joke. There are only 7 users to the entire domain. Can I set up 7 different Outlook profile on my computer, download everyone's email and then export 7 different .PST files, then completely start from scratch and import the .PST files?!

I don't see a reason to transfer any FSMO roles since the new DC I'll be transferring them to is already a DC, therefore it has these roles setup/installed. It seems rediculous that I can't just re-create 7 AD users with the same usernames/passwords as on the old Exchange/DC server and, since their usernames/passwords are the same on the new DC that their email wouldn't be able to sync with the server. Sorry if I seem a little agitated, but I'm sure you all understand.

In the above comment, by "start from scratch" I mean uninstall Exchange, run dcpromo to demote, move to new IP network, join to domain (wich is the same exact domain name(logical not physical) as the DC/Exchange server was in before all of this, and reinstall Exchange...

Use exmerge on the server to export all 7 to PST, then bin the server and reload.

Much simpler.

I don't see a reason to transfer any FSMO roles since the new DC I'll be transferring them to is already a DC, therefore it has these roles setup/installed.
Just an FYI, just because a server is a DC does not mean it holds the FSMO roles. Only 1 DC holds these roles, by default the first DC created.

But as far as what you need to accomplish, Zelandakh, 58sniper and sscherin seem to have layed it all out for you.

Thanks for further clarificatin pgaliardo. The new DC is the first DC created. I currently have two identical domains, but they are on different networks. On the "old" network, there is only one server, which is a DC and Exchange server. I want to move this server to the new domain but remove the DC roles since I already have a DC in the new domain, and just have it be the Exchange server for the new domain. On another note, I've downloaded and installed Exmerge, tried extracting a test mailbox but received the following error:

[18:04:26] Error opening message store (MSEMS). Verify that the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service is running and that you have the correct permissions to log on. (0x8004011d)

Any ideas anyone? I checked up on it and this article ( said to log on to Windows NT using the Exchange Service account. If I'm logged on as domain admin, this should suffice, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back