Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jono261970

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
GB
Hello,

I would be most grateful if somebody could maybe answer a couple of queries.

1)I am using NT backup which "backs up" directory and information store, is this sufficient to restore users emails if something goes wrong?

2)when i look in the private information mailbox section it shows you how much space is being used up(total k - total items)

The odd thing is that mine and several other accounts don`t increment in size, mine is currently on 12 even though I have had loads of emails. when I read an email the total goes down. Some users are on 3500!

does this mean that my emails are not stored on the server any more?

thanks in advance

jono

Hi maybe I can suggest something:
1. Decrease in mail on server can happen if you use the microsoft outlook client and you set the delivery options to your personal folder. This means that the mail on the exchange server will be delivered to your personal folder. This personal folder often resides on the harddisk of the pc. So you DON'T have any mails left on the server. You can check this by looking at the mail configuration (configuration settings). Any problems let me know and I can guide you.
2. By using NT backup you backup all the mail on the exchange server. NO individual mailboxes are backupped. You have to use special backup software (for instance Arcserve) to restore individual mailboxes.

In your situation you can restore individual mailboxes by creating another exchange server - restore the full backup - export the mailbox of the user from the server - import it on the production server. This is very complicated and takes a lot of time when needed so it isn't recommended to do (except of course when it is the mail of the CEO :) .... )!

yes the way joker said it, you don't need a powerful machine to run your exchange, i did that when we use just a p3 500 with 256mb of ram
but your client need to set checking mail every 5 or 10 minutes from default 30 minutes

since i bought a Dell server to run exchange so i can backup the mail boxes, users use it to store important information.
one good thing about running is that when mail comes in, it instantly shows up in your outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back