Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirJ

Technical User
Nov 16, 2001
US
I am looking for some recommendations on a good Exchange book or reference. I ordered an evaluation copy from MS so I can tinker with Exchange but I have decided I need a book or some kind of manual to learn how to set it up correctly. I am a student and kind of broke (tacky I know. sorry) so any online reference would be most welcome.

Thank you all for your time.
SirJ

Exchange 2000 is even simpler than most back office products. Installation is a case of pressing NEXT a few times.

The MS site (yikes, am I going to recommend it?) has plenty of help, the Exchange help file is ok if you know where to look. Tek-Tips users are very helpful.

If you want a book, try the Turlington Schuler books. Usually pretty good.

Thanks. I will see if my wife can put it under the tree this year. Once I was lost and now I am found.

Although it depends on what style of book you like. (Am assuming you want to know Exchange 2k rather than 5.5).

Light hearted - Dummies series. Not as dumbed down as you might think. Easy reading.
Medium - Turlington Schuler On Site.
Medium - Barry Gerber (Sybex book). Usually pretty good but I don't know if personally.
Unknown - Jim McBee (Sybex). as above.
Dry - McGraw Hill MCSE Administering Exchange 2000 Server Study Guide (Exam 70-224). Big, heavy book. If you like reference, you'll love this. This series is so dry I need a Martini next to me when I open it...

I have been MCSE 4.0 for over a year and a half now and I picked up a Dummie book from a friends house to sift through. Just to see how they were. It was an NT 4 workstation book and as I read it I felt insulted. Not that I am some computer God or anything but I was reading this and just felt my intelegance being sucked out of my brain. I will go for the Turlington Schuler. In your last post you said "Medium - Turington Schuler On Site". Is that a site or a book. I have no problem buying a book. I have already let my wife know that I it would be a welcome addition to the house. Once I was lost and now I am found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back