Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange NDR and lost mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgrimley

Technical User
Dec 3, 2002
GB
Hi All

I have just noticed that when an email is sent to an unknown alias from an external source it does not create an NDR and also does not let the sender know it has not reached the unknown alias. I have only one exchange server running on w2k both service packed to sp3. I use a pop collector to forward mail to the server but for some reason if the name is not known it just seems to get lost.

What is unknown, the user or the domain?
If it is the user, you depend on the target domain to send you the NDR. If it doesn't, you will never know.
That how my server is setup, you will never get an NDR from me because that is what spammer do to test for existing accounts.
If it is the domain, you should get a cannot resolve domain...
Is it always ith the same domain or emailaddress or is it with all invalid addresses? [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC! - Marc
[/sub]

It is unknown aliases therefore users i.e. unknown@domain.com. The domain is fine - i can see all the mails coming in on the pop collector but never get any undeliverable for the unknown's. Internal NDR work and these are directed to the administrator account on that domain.

O, I misread, it's incoming.
Ok, what pop collector are you using, some have problems with that. [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

Weel, I'm not saying it is, but it could, I had some issues with mine (Popcon).
Does that pop2exchange have any logging where you can trace what has been sent or forwarded?
If it did get to you Server, you did configure the NDR's right?
To check: System Manager - Default SMPT Virtual Server - Messages Tab - fill in you address in the Send Copy to ... [sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, excpect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
[/sub]

Yeah checked it was configured correctly and it is. I have emailed the support dept for the collector and shall wait their response - anywhere else you think i could be looking?

Hi

found out that it was the pop collector that did not have a NDR flag raised.

Thought this may be useful for anybody else who has the problem in future.

Thanks for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back