Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Mx and "A" #'s ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccj

IS-IT--Management
May 11, 2001
US
I have recently implemented an exchange server 2000 Enterprise. I have everything internally working properly. I called my email provider and gave them the external IP address that is provided to me by my internet provider (which just goes to my router) which I will assume is my MX #. Will Exchange just get the email from that address? What is an "A" #? How does Exchange know to get the mail from there and what mailboxes to put it in? Any and all guidance in easiest terms available would be appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

An MX record is just a pointer to an A (address) record. An A record is simply a pointer to an IP address. So, say you need to setup an MX record for mydomain.com

You create an A record. Let's call it 'mail'. So the record is mail.mydomain.com. It points to your public IP address. Let's say 1.2.3.4

You then set your MX record to mail.mydomain.com, which, in turn, points to 1.2.3.4

Make sense?

Sending servers then query that MX record, and deliver mail to 1.2.3.4 - Exchange then takes that email and delivers it to the right mailbox.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Ok that makes sense, but is the A address just the static external IP address of my router? And where in exchange do you store this DNS address record?

Yes, it's just your external IP address.

It doesn't get stored in Exchange. You configure your MX record at your hosting provider, or whoever maintains DNS for your domain name.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back