Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Migration, Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

polishbeergod

Technical User
Sep 1, 2004
US
I'm at the move mailboxes stage of the migration. As a test, I moved my mailbox from the old 5.5 server to the new 2003 server. The move went fine, and the test mailbox that i created on the new server communicates fine with my mailbox. However, both the test mail account, and my mail account cannot send or recieve messages to anyone else, out of the office, or within the office.

Example: I sent an email to my hotmail account from my exchange account. I never recieved the message. I sent an email from my hotmail account to my exchange account, and I never recieved a message. Nor did I recieve an error message back.

It seems that the old server cannot contact the new server and vice versa. I'm very confused and I've been working on this install for two weeks (it's my first project ever). Some please help me.

Which server has the connector installed? Try using the smtp connector with exchange 2003 and uninstall the internet mail connector in exchange 5.5. Ensure that the internal dns and your firewall all point to the ip of the new exchange 2003 server and not the old 5.5 one...

test by telneting to port 25 of the new exchange server to test mail flow.

It's gonna be something like this that is wrong in your current setup as internal mail is flowing.

I've experienced this exact kind of problem. Turned out to be the LegacyExchangeDN attribute on the Exchange 2003 mailbox which has to match the object in Exchange 5.5. Also, Make sure that your new Windows AD account has an email address specified on the General tab.

Test email functionality by using the delivery and read receipt in both directions. also check the queues. And don't forget to use the message tracker tool in system manager.

We have connectors on Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003 in our environment right now. If Exchange 2003 is configured to use DNS to route mail, you don't need to explicitly define a connector on Exchange 2003. I wouldn't remove the connector in Exchange 5.5 until I was ready to decommission the Exchange 5.5 box..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back