Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange migration, from 5.5 to 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanie

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2003
GB
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to migrate my friend's server from Windows NT4 with Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 with Exchange 2000.

Could someone give me some hints on general migration information, the PC will probably be formated. Can the data be backed up from Exchange 5.5 then imported ot Exchange 2000?

We are talking emails, tasks, calender etc.

Thanks in advance,
Kanie

See faq858-3483

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

It is a good completion, but on its own, it won't get you far. It is an offline document containing the migration part.
But I will add it to the faq.

Marc

An in-place upgrade seems to work well. I have now done both upgrades and migrations. In either case you need AD up and running properly before you start. Make very sure DNS is right.
In-place upgrade is simple, get the pre-requisites right (AD, IIS, SMTP, NNTP) and go for it. To migrate setup the new server and move users across, or use PST files as an intermediate step if you have to trash the server. You can also use Exmerge I think, but I don't care much for that method.
Backup first, image the disks or something and you should be OK. I prefer the new server and move users method. Gives you a simple backout plan if there are problems.
Hope this helps.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help, I was unable to log into the forum during my migration, the site was down to me anyway.

The migration ended up being a total nightmare and things didn't work like the documentation suggested...

In the end I got things sorted out, but it was a _very_ long weekend ;)

Just a tip - if you're working with a small client base, you can simply "export" a mailbox from Outlook, create a new install of Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000, create the users, login then import the mailbox back again.

Thanks again,

Kanie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back