Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange M partition and the Servers C partiton free space 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

torin8

IS-IT--Management
Jun 11, 2004
GB
Pretty much a newbie muddling my way through this so please bear with me!

Setup an exchange2k server which seems to work ok really. However I've noticed that the free space on the exchange M: Partition and the free space on C: on the Windows 2000 server seem to be exactly the same. Is this a problem - especially if I install more programs on the server C:? Also is there any way of moving this connection so it's reflecting another drive (so I can give it a lot more space!).
Thanks

Nope.

Pretend that the M drive you saw does not exist. Don't touch it, don't play with it, don't look inside it, don't back it up.

torin8 - step away from the drive...

Honestly - don't touch it. Someone in MS thought it would be a good idea but it wasn't.

<signature for rent>

Thanks Zelandakh - I'll keep my hands (and my boss') off it in furture...

So just to confirm it's not going to fall over if it gets full will it? I guess what I'm asking is just what partition does all the email get saved to!

All your exchange data is saved to the information stores, which if you left your installation at the defaults, should be at C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata. If you are concerned about hard drive space you may want to consider moving your information store databases to another partition other than your operating system partition. When I first got started with Exchange 2K a few years ago, I had them on the OS partition. The IS databases filled up my hard drive and it was a major hassle trying to move them when the OS was choked for HD space.

See the following MS article on how to do this:

Thanks for the help - I've already had the mdbdata problem previously so already moved that one to a larger partition, seemed to go quite smoothly too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back