Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange IS space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molenski

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2002
DE
Hi there,

I have a NT4 n/w using Outlook 98 as the mail client running off Exchange 5.5.....about 100 users locally and about 500 spread throughout the regions we are responsible for.

I've recently noticed that some of the users are taking the p*** a bit with the size of their mailboxes - one users is approx 1Gb!!! I know that this is just the users not being tidy - they have been informed of steps to archive etc. but just don't want to do it.

What I'd like to do is to set a mailbox limit at site level and if needs be have certain users ignore this limit and set it a mailbox level if say they need a bit more space.

Just wondering really the right way to judge a decent average size - is it just a case of taking an average of the sizes now and going from there or dependant upon hardware and system resources. I was sort of thinking about 50Mb should be OK per user.

I was gonna send out an all users email telling them they have a month till the limit gets set and let them know about archiving/saving attachemnts to user areas - just general housekeeping on their inboxes.

Anyone think of anything else - I want this to be as easy as possible for the users.

Thanks in advance.

Molenski
As my bessie bud Kev always says - "Get involved!!!"

Well 50mb isn't very much at all, especially if they are heavy calendar users too.

I would give them whatever I could afford to really.

I'd say that most of them aren't heavy calendar users - most of that is done in the public folders.

I thought about 50 would be OK....the server has plenty of space at the mo but there does seem to be a lot of unecessary emailing going on!!!! I guess I need to look at that too.

Thanks for you advice though.

Molenski

Well every company is different and the only person who can make the best estimate is you. I'm sure if you think 50 is right, 50 is fine ;)f

My users users have 50MB, management has 100MB. It works like a charm, if they need to save mail for later refernce they put in PST files and store it on the server.

You might consider assigning mailbox limits on a group basis, for example:

4 Executive Staff = 400,000K
2 Director + = 350,000K
5 Director = 300,000K
20 User + = 150,000K
70 User = 50,000K

Set the information store default for the largest group, and custom linits for the smaller executive groups and elevated users.

Thanks to you all for this advice. Will start clamping down like a clampy down thing!!!!!!!!!

Molenski

Check out the thread; Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back