Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Internally

Status
Not open for further replies.

nokona13

Programmer
Dec 7, 2003
US
So I know this is a little ridiculous, but I'm just taking orders. The office I'm working for (in the middle of the pacific) wants easy internal messaging, and the calender/meeting features of outlook. There is, however, only dial-up on this island and so I can't set up our server as our own mail server. The question is, can I set up exchange and the outlook clients so that mail will be sent by our server, and everyone will be hooked up with exchange to enable the other features, and then just set everyone's outlook client to dowload pop mail from wherever they have an account? Is there any other way to get this combination of features?

you can just set up the (internal) accounts as usual.
if you dont point any mx records to it in DNS it will not rescieve any mails.
then the clients can just add pop3 accounts to their lookout clients.

MVH Nicolai

PS.
whish i was in the middle of the pacific, im in the middle of icy dark winter in DK.

Okay, so I've set up mailboxes and such as normal (not really so hard, seeing as AD pretty much sets up everything for you when you create a user account). And adding an email account to users' Outlook for the Exchange Server gets messaging and appointments and the basics up and running. Now I need to set up everyone with other email accounts in their to check outside email accounts. An australian here has turned everyone on to fastmail.fm, which provides IMAP servers for downloading, but no outgoing service for the free accounts. So for some users I'm trying to get mail from an internet IMAP incoming SMTP account, send through my dial-up ISP SMTP outgoing server, and have the Exchange account as the secondary mail account to allow all the internal stuff. None of the external stuff is working, so the question is: Are my users just sending messages out over the LAN, and since exchange isn't set up to handle anything but internal messaging, it's ignoring them? If so, how can I get my server to forward messages on the LAN to outside domains to my ISP? If not, what might be going wrong?

btw: win2k backoffice server, exchange 2000, all win2k clients with outlook xp

Thanks!!

If there's an Exchange server configured, Outlook will always use that for outgoing mail. Therefore, you'll have to configure Exchange to send out the mail to external addresses. As a consequence, the Exchange server needs to be able to connect to the internet.

As you're on dial-up, you really want some ISP's server to relay your outgoing mail. Does your dial-up ISP provide a SMTP relay server?

I beleive so. The dial-up account I'm using used to belong to one of the workers here, and that worker had an email account with them and her outlook relayed outgoing SMTP mail through the ISP's outgoing server. I've been assuming that means that since I'm dialing in with that account that if I can set up Exchange to relay to that server, then it will accept mail from my Exchange server relayed from my users through that dial-up account. How do I get Exchange to process only internal mail itself and relay all outside addresses to my ISP?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back