Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Installation problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcleodal

Technical User
Feb 8, 2005
GB
Our Server (Win2KServer) recently failed. Luckily we had a secondary domain controller (SDC). I rebuilt the original server and configured it as the secondary domain controller after instating the original SDC as the primary.

Forestprep and domainprep ran OK, but when i when i came to install Exchange 2000, i got the following error:

The component "microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "Install" because

- A server object for the server ("Servername") already exists in the administrative group "First Administrative Group". You must either remove this server object before installing, or run setup with the "DisasterRecovery" switch if you are attempting to recover this server.

Has anyone any suggestions on what to do to enable me to install exchange?

Thanks.

The answer is already there:
You must either remove this server object before installing,

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Have a look at the shop @ !

Install the exchange system mgr first, and then try to remove the server.
If that doesn't work, you can remove the server manually from AD by using ADSI (mmc-plugin, windows supp tools). When using ADSI, be careful. The entries can be found in the configuration container.

Thanks for the advice guys, this has really helped me out.

I also found the following link on Microsoft's website:

This article describes how to completely remove Exchange 2000 from Active directory by using the removeorg switch with update.exe in Exchange Server 2002 Service Pack 2 or later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back