Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange install - local and public have same domain name??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacasa

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
Our local domain is domainname.com
Our public domain has the same name hosted by ISP.
I want to install Exchange to have users share Outlook calendars. I want to continue to use the ISP POP accounts.
It would be nice if ISP goes down, that local domain email still works. I am assuming that if local user1@domainname.com sends a message to local user2@domainname.com, it hits the Exchange server and it routed locally, not through ISP. Each user would have two mail accounts setup, the POP, and the Exchange one. And lastly we want to be able to share calendars.

I have 30 clients with two DC's.

One DC is Windows 2003 having all roles and is the file server. I also have an older Windows 2K Server DC, which I want to use for the Exchange installation.

Will I have a problem using the same domain name? What else should consider?

Our company is a non-profit and the ISP donates the mail and web hosting.

You can use the same domain name internally and externally. Just don't name your server the same name as your external server is known as. Like "mail.domainname.com" or " When you've finished setting up, you may want to use the POP3 connector in Exchange to pull the mail down from your ISP's mailboxes for you, or you may choose to have the clients pull it down themselves and store it on the server. That's your choice.

You will want to manually create records in your internal DNS for the external mail and web servers so that your users will be able to find it: your DNS server will not forward queries to outside servers to resolve those names, so you have to duplicate them inside.

You should probably configure your server with a smarthost in the SMTP VIrtual Server settings, having your server route outbound mail to your ISP's mail server.

ShackDaddy

Thanks for your help.

Let me try to understand something. Each client will have a POP and and Exchange account setup, or just an Exchange account? If only an Exchange account, are all incoming messages stored on the Exchange server. My worry is about storage space and spam. The ISP has a spamfilter, but I am not sure about how that would work with Exchange.

I am also concerned about users and the control of the size of files they receive (jokes, mp3, mpegs, etc.) Would they all go through the Exchange server. Right now they go from ISP directly to storage on client computer. In a way I like this, but I don't have control which I guess Exchange could give me.

As you can see I am new at this.

Hi lacasa,

Exchange has its own database where it will store all messages.

Exchange 2003 with SP2 applied gives you 70 odd gig of storage.

PST files are limited to 2GB in size (I *believe*).

Currently your users will download email from the ISP using POP. These messages are then stored in a PST file on the users computer.

You can keep this behaviour if you like, even if the e-mail is hosted on your exchange server.

You can specify maximum email size that users can send and receive.

You can specify maximum e-mail 'mailbox' sizes per user so they can never get out of control.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back