Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Event viewer service not starting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2001
For no apparent reason we are now receiving an error on our Exchange system after a server reboot.
The Exchage Event Viewer Service does noes nor start and an error 2140 is recorded in the server event log, description is that a MAPI error has occurred.
Looked through MS knowledge base and checked out all probable causes, none of which seem to apply.

Has anyone hit this brick wall before ?

Hugh.

What error code was returned? There seems to be a lot of possibilities for a generic 2140. Chris

It worked yesterday.
It doesn't work today.
That's Windows!

NT event log advises an "Unknown MAPI error".

Hugh

I had a similar issue after rebooting my Exchange 5.5 server. It turned out that when I installed Exmerge in the exchsrvr\bin directory, I accidentally replaced one of the Mapi32 DLLs with a different version, It was not until after the reboot, when the DLLs reloaded that I saw the issue you are having.

Check the versions and dates of all of the mapi DLLs to make sure thay match your service patch level.

You will need to stop most of the Exchange services to replace the DLLs if you find the offending file. And then reboot anyway.

Remember you could have replaced the file six months ago, but you might not see the error unless you rebooted.

Hope this helps, Dana

Thks for your help Dana, there has been 1 pc of software installed on our exchange server recently which "supposedly" does not affect the mapi dll set, but I have a feeling that this may well be the cause of the problem.

Thks again,

Hugh.

Just reinstall the event service with the exchange server installation disk. See Microsoft Article Q192174.

dbosley

Thanks dbos,

I upgraded exchange server 5.5 with sp4 whilst logged on as administrator. The upgrade failed with unable to start the event service, ID No 0xc002041d. Manual attempts to start it resulted in Error 2140 Event Id 5

I logged on as services account and re-installed the exchange event service as per your advice and that sorted it. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back