Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange down

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterPhil

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2004
GB
My exchange server has failed because it has decided there is insufficient space on the drive to mount the store (even though there is over a gig in space but I digress). I have run eseutil recovery so ften now it is driving me nuts and it keeps failing. I have got to the point that I am just going to run a restore from a Veritas backup. What I am hoping is that if I have a copy of the current logs and a backup from 9th March that I can restore the PRIV databases I can then use the current logs to bring in as much of the lost email as I can.

Am I barking up the wrong tree or just barking mad to even try this?

If it is backup exec then yes you can do it.

eseutil is a last resort. With the store unmounted you could have cleared some space (temp folder, service packs and so on) then restarted and you would have been fine.

You need to work out why the disk filled up - it is usually caused by transaction logs piling up caused by the backup not working...

Sadly that was exactly the reason. Even though Backup Exec was set to email me if the backup failed and even though the server was set to send a message if the free drive space fell below 25%. Neither happened and the backup failed 5 days in a row and...... dead server.

Managed to move one mailbox store out of the way which gave me just enough room to recover mailbox store 1, then set zero database pages, then recover mailbox store 2, then run a backup. Even after all that, and setting mailbox limits to 20mb per user, I still only have 1gb of space left so I am ordering a new server pronto.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back