Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange DB agent, what does incr actually backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

voierr

MIS
Oct 17, 2008
GB
Hi,

Could someone please enlighten me as to what exactly is backed up by the Exchange DB agent when an incremental is run.
Does it just backup the logs?
I've tried the books online but it just tells me that an incremental backs up only the changes, not what and how?

Thanks

incr backs up any changes & purges the logs...differential doesn't purge the logs

Birky
CommVault Certified Engineer

Birky,
Thanks for that but I'm still a bit lost and I'm probably not making myself too clear.
I understand how incr work, easy to understand when it's just file and print. Where I'm coming unstuck is how that works in exchange db's.
Do exchange db incr work the same way in that they backup the changes within the store or do exchange incr ONLY backup the logs? I would imagine this is the case because once the full is taken, CV would not look at the main store until the next Full?
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks again.

The Full is the database, the incs are Only the transaction logs and are linked to the full of course, after a successful inc backup the logs are requested to be deleted by exchange.
The DB is only touched by the full
When you do the restore you can do just the full or have the option to restore the full and apply the logs.
hope this helps
rgds rod

Great, thanks guys.

This does however lead me on to my real problem/question. Will probably post under a new heading though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back