Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Connector for GroupWise

Status
Not open for further replies.

donteh

Technical User
Dec 10, 2001
US
Folks,

I'm having problems configuring Exchange 2000 Connector for GroupWise to work with GroupWise 6.0 (SP1) and the API gateway 4.1 (v2).

The Exchange Connector appears to be set up fine; however, I don't have access to the API gateway "Required Parameters" page within ConsoleOne (or NWAdmin32). As a result, I can't configure certain required options for the gateway such as "Gateway File Paths" and "Addressing Format".

Am I missing something? Are the options set someplace else?

Also, if anyone knows where I can find step-by-step instructions to setup Exchange 2000 Connector for GroupWise (GroupWise 5.x/6.x), please let me know.

Thanks!

Donteh

Groupwise -> Exchange 2k what a pain!!.
We have been rolling out a co-existence deployment of Groupwise 5.5 to Exchange 2k and it has quite frankly been a pain in the rear end..

However we have pretty much succeeded, and I would advise the following. Go get GWconnecte2k which is a self extracting file from Microsofts site, this details the processes invloved in both migration and co-existence. Secondly the API interface is the key, make sure you setup a container on the Netware side a group called NTGATEWAY and put into this group an administrator and maybe one or two users to be migrated.

It pains me that our rollout will gross Bill Bloody Gates 30k yet the tools provided are less than adequate. So many dependencies on other links. Why don't Microsoft write an all in one wizard to create the API, make the link and connect post office to exchange post office.

Anyway have a look at the document.

Good luck.

Tony. Tony Deane
Technical Director

How did it go I am in the same process as well. All was working fine but suddenly we are unable to send email from exchage to the groupwise users it comes back undeliverable almost right away. Did a message tracking on it and it never makes it to the connector. I haven't changed anything on the connector settings. The only thing I can think of that was changed recently was the default policy. I have added a few smtp addresses. We were able to send to the groupwise users before providing we chose their name from a contact list that was created. Instead of sending it to username@domain.com It sends it to gwise:ny1.nyc(Post office context).username. Now it wont go from the address list or if I send directly to that address above or the proper smtp address. I was also never able to reply to any message coming in externally because the groupwise connector encapsulates the email address in brackets and removes the @ sign so you have to edit the address when you reply b4 you can click send. Has anyone had these problems when coexisting

I have done the connector to 5.5, and it went pretty well. Had it running for almost a year without any serious problems. The key to getting it going for me was getting accounts, logins, drive mappings, etc. straight. Once that was set, I had to do a little fine tuning of the scan on the API (I took it down to 2 seconds) so the busy searches would come back in a timely fashion.

Overall not a terrible way to go. Of course there is always Novell's Exchange gateway. It takes another server, but I set that up once and it worked as well. I still prefer to use MS connector, so that when the Exchange people complain that there is a problem, I can tell them that we are only running Microsoft products, we may have to call Bill and find out what is wrong with THEIR software.

Bruce

Bruce
did u have any trouble with users sending mail from exchange to groupwise without using the contact list and did you have trouble with replying to any email that didnt come from an exchange user

Check the secondary email addresses of your GW contacts in AD and make sure that the RUS hasn't removed the GWISE addresses. Also make sure that the GWISE address type (for your migrated GW environment) is present and checked off in the properties your recipient policy.

Hope that helps,

Donte'

Its working fine now but I have one other problem. We can't reply to any user who didn't send from exchange. Our mail flows through our virus scan to groupwise and then to exchange. The api is adding brackets around the email address and removing the @ sign. When you hit reply to send it back it will automatically fail unless you delete the reply address and retype it. I would like to keep the mail flow setup the way it is( mailscan>groupwise>exchange). I have developers working on a script or something that may be able to correct the problem. I am not sure if they can fix this if you had this problem and fixed it can you let me know how.

If writing and implementing the script becomes to cumbersome and you have a GWIA, you may want to change your mail route to: MailScan>Exchange>GroupWise. With E2K's SMTP virtual servers set to send undeliverable mail to GW, SMTP email can be routed from MailScan to GW (through Exchange) all via SMTP -- preserving the message header. This will also relieve some stress on your API gateway -- usually the weakest link in any GW/Exchange message system.

Can you share with us the fix to your previous problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back