Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange - Can't Receive Mail After IP Change 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2003
US
My ISP recently changed the IP address of my Exchange Server. I updated the DNS server to reflect the new IP. Three days passed, I still can't receive any mail. I can send out mail with no problems and I can access the web server (which is the same server as Exchange) with the domain name. It looks like that the domain name is being resolved correctly. But why I can't receive mail? Please help... Mickey

You have to change your MX record to reflect your IP address change.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Network Solutions is hosting my DNS. Their MX records are fully qualified host names. The ip address for those hosts have already been changed to reflect the new ip address.

What else could cause the problem? How long should I wait? Any tools to troubleshoot what is going on? Thanks.

Don't happen to have a firewall in between that needs to have it's NAT changed?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Good point. The Exchange Server is also the NAT. Maybe the NAT needs to be re-configured. I will try that this evening.
Thank you!!!

I changed the NAT IP range to reflect the new ip. But I still receive no emails. Anything else I could do to trace the problem? Thanks again.

can you telnet to your server on port 25 from outside your LAN? Do it by FQDN, not IP...

Very good utility. I did find one record which still has the old address. Also, some configuration within Exchange still retained the old address. It is working now.
Thank You!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back