Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange Bricklevel stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallst32

MIS
Apr 14, 2003
US
All of a sudden, my Exchange bricklevel backups no longer work. The database backups still work. I get this in the logs:

E8604 Failed to start backup. (DBNAME=\Individual Mailboxes\, EC=EXCH Exchange Agent -- (429) "Fail to Open Information Store".)
\Individual Mailboxes\

I also noticed that now when I try to expand "individual mailboxes" from Arcserve Manager, nothing happens. Before, it would expand a list of all mailboxes from which I could select.

I logged in with the DBAgent account and re-did the client configuration, and it gave no errors.

The Arcserve Exchange agent, SP3, and SP4 are installed on the Exchange 2000/SP3 Server. This was working for about 2-3 months without any issue. Then one day, I started receiving the mentioned error.

The relevant settings to get this working have not been touched (group membership, delegation, user rights... etc), so I'm not sure where to begin looking.

TIA

Hi
It looks there a silent Dr Watson happening
check Dr watson log and put the agent in Debug mode
from the registry
SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\DSAgent\CurrentVersion\agent\dbaexchg2

change the value of dbaexchg2 to 2 and paste the
error appear in dbaxchg2.log to here

regards,
mohamdr

Wallst32,

I have the exact same problem since two weeks ago. I have applied q022480 and it didn´t work.

Have you found a solution to the problem?

Danilo

I ran into this problem quite a few months back. When I examined the mailboxes in question, I noticed that the ones that weren't being backed up all had something in common - they are all either deleted accounts within Windows AD or they all belong to a group called "Disabled Accounts". I informed the AD administrator of this and we have been doing routine cleanup of the AD. You might research the mailboxes that are not able to be opened, and also run this list by your Windows AD or Windows Domain administrator and see if he/she can see any similarities with these accounts.

Good luck,

Eric

But the strange thing is it was all of sudden. There were no modifications on the accounts, they are all still being used and enabled.

Suddenly, the brick-level backup stopped working.

We tried reinstalling the agent, restarting the computer, deleting the job and adding a new one, but nothing works.

Are you getting this with EVERY mailbox or only a FEW?

That´s another strange part of the problem.

We are not using the brick lever for many mailboxes, just 10. The mailboxes are: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I and J.

If I put all of them to backup, A and B work, and the rest don´t.

I removed mailbox C to test, and the result was strange: A, B and D worked (D was not working before), but E to J didn´t.

Today, I tested with only C, E and F. C worked, E and F didn´t.

It´s very strange. The first ones (1,2 or 3) work, and the rest don´t.

Try doing an offline defrag of the Exchange Database. We're running Exchange 2000 / Arcserve 2000 and getting good bricks for about a week at a time and then start to get similar messages to what you see, some number of the mailboxes are backed up and then the rest are all errored and bypassed. Offline defrag and I'm good for about another week.

Hi there,

I am struggeling with problems regarding brick level for almost 2 months now. What wallst32 mentions, i experienced too.

It kind of worked but then i noticed that some mailboxes where not backup up and some nwhere. The next day, none where. I was not able to browse the list of mailboxes.

I completely reinstalled ARCserve (9.01 with Patch 3) Exchange Agent (the server is being backed up remotely) and removed any remains in the regstry and on disk before installing it back. I did the same with the backup server because it was not working well any more.

So far things are working again, but i still have problems. CA is working on them right now (second-level support).

Cheers

I installed the QO22480 patch as suggested here, and that did the trick.. for now.

I had read on other places that installing the patch did not solve the problem for others, so I was hesitant to apply it here.

Hello,

I had the same problem.

Check the registry
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\ARCserveIT\DSAgent\CurrentVersion\agent\dbaxchg2]

Dword UseTCP = 0

My registry did not have this setting for the dbaxchg2. I have add it and the brickslevel backup goes well now.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back