Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange bounces emails before they leave LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon99

MIS
Feb 17, 1999
US
We have an Exchange Server 5.5 installation that in nearly all respects works fine. However, for one or two internet email addresses when they are submitted by an Outlook client they are bounced with the following text from the returning email <br>
<br>
The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=***;p=;l=****-000224105223Z-2601<br>
MSEXCH:IMS:***:***DOMAIN:*** 3503 (000B099C) 503 please introduce yourself, first<br>
<br>
*=server specific info. So they aren't actually leaving the LAN. There is nothing unusual about the relevant email address : <A HREF="mailto:name.name@host.com">name.name@host.com</A>. The host part of the address has a hyphen in it, but that shouldn't make any difference.<br>
<br>
Any ideas?

Is it the same for all clients sending to this particular address(es), or is it just one or two people who are affected? Are the addresses being manually typed in or chosen from an address book entry?<br>
<br>
The key is if it is happening with everyone or just a few people. If its only one or two people, its probably client related.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps a little,<br>
Paul Kincaid

Thanks for the post - no it effects everybody. The address is in a client's address book, but trying to send to the same address (I can send to it from hotmail, etc) from another client gets the same response.<br>
<br>
Jon

Since its in an address book, can you manually type the address in the To: box, what happens there?

Try removing it from the clients address book and readding it. Sounds silly, but it works...

If I type the address in the &quot;to:&quot; box of the Outlook client (any for this server) then the email will be bounced, regardless of whether it is in an address book or not.<br>
<br>

Does this domain name have an MX rexord? This could keep this from being sent also.

Once you have typed the name in the to box, click the check address icon (person with tick). Then double click on the underlined name. Check the email address is an email address and not a display name...

I have the same problem. I checked the Internet Mail Service and found the message stuck in the queue and the Delivery Column shows "pending". All I did was to stop all Exchange services and restart them again, then the msg was delivered. However, the same problem comes back almost every week. I also noticed that this happened only after year 2000.

Thank you for your replies. The problem has now been sorted. It turns out that Exchange was pointing to the wrong server. Within the Internet Mail Service ¦ connections the option to point to DNS was selected instead of the ISP mail server. So some addresses were not recognised. Everything seems to be ok now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back