Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Exchange backups - ISA server - Seperate backup network

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammysploge

Technical User
Oct 14, 2004
GB
Hi

We are trying to configure our Exchange cluster backups to use a seperate backup network. The complications are that this is a 5 node Exchange cluster with 3 virtual nodes. It also sits behind a pair of ISA servers(security gateway/firewall). Each Exchange server has its own backup network, we hoped we could bypass the ISA environment by using the seperate backup network, but the issue is the virtual component cannot see the backup network.
Is there a way of configuring the cluster resources to see the backup network? Or is their an alternative method.
We can of course open a hole in the ISA server to allow access and implement firewall rules, but for performance we would like to use a seperate network. Any suggestions/ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm kind of lost.

Are you saying that you have 5 phyisical servers each with 2 NICs, one bound to the exchange network, the other bound to the backup network, however, the virtual nodes can not see the backup network?

Yes 5 physical servers each with 3 NICs - 2 Teamed for the primary and 1 for backup. The Primary network is seperated from the Commserve/Media Agents by the ISA servers and the Backup network has direct access to the Commserve/Media Agents, but the issue is how to get the virtual cluster address to send data down the backup network.

However I did log this with Commvault and the response is below, I have not tested it yet. I still beleive we will need to open up some ISA ports, but will let you all know how I get on.

Commvault Response
==================

We can force the galaxy services to one specific NIC using the following steps:

Windows Media Agents and iDataAgents
1. Create the IPsToBind.txt file in the <install directory>\Base folder.
2. On separate lines, add each IP address or the interface name associated with the NIC cards(s) that must be used.
3. Save the file then, stop and restart the services
NOTE: If the IPsToBind.txt file is created, at least one valid IP address must match the resolved IP address of the interface name provided for the Client or else services will not start.

The IPsToBind method is what I would have suggested as well, and it should mean that you don't have to punch holes through ISA.

If you have any problems getting it working, let me kow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back