Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lan300

MIS
Mar 18, 2003
CA
When backing up exchange 5.5 (with veritas backup exec 9) the backup operation is very slow when backing up the mailboxes (MANY HOURS and it's on a 2.5gb database)

Is there a way I can check the database for corruption and repair it? (all articles I find are for corruption IF the service doesn't start.)

If I install ex 5.5 on a new server and join it to the exising and move mail boxes over, will that help? (since it is in a new database file?)

It's unlikely to be database corruption if Exchange is running and users are not having issues. Backup Exec connects via MAPI just like an Outlook client. Is there any AV software running on the machine? Disable it and try a backup. It may be that, I have seen it. If you stop the Exchange services and run a file backup of the databases, how fast is it? This proves the tape mechanism, including SCSI bus etc. Are there any clues in the Backup Exec. logs? It can be as simple as one email corrupted, start by backing up parts of the set and see if it speeds up.
Best of luck.

Read up on eseutil and Isinteg. These are utilities that come with exchange 5.5 You will find many opinions, some say only run these when there is a problem with the database, others will say run them regularly. They are the utilities to use to check for and repair corruption in the database. As for slow backups, if you happen to be running symantec antivirus for exchange on the exchange server, trying changing it to mapi only mode and see if the backups happen at a faster rate.

AM

I am using Symantec Anti-Virus for exchange, I will check out the logs to see if I can find the exact error, or try and backup again w/o NAV running and see if the error occours.

Backing up the Exchange Directory and Information Store works fine, however, when selecting to backup the Exchange Mailboxes, that is when during backup, it takes a long time.

If you watch the job progress, you can see it backing up each msg in the mailbox... and takes about 1 or 2 seconds per message, and in the log it mentions something about corruption in the mailbox.

I will run it again this Tuesday and get the exact problem again, and let post it.

Thanks for you help,
Lan

Sounds like the AV software to me. If it proves to be, then in your Antivirus software, you exclude the backup process from being scanned.
Good luck.

I think you are right... however, adding the mailboxes to the routine again, has resulted in a full backup tape... however, I checked the logs until that point, and it appears it was the Symantec Anti-Virus...

Is there an option to keep the AV running, but let it backup properly, or do I have to shut-down the NAV for exchange service before each backup?

Thanks,
Lan

The specific link you should check out is:

Note that the changes Microsoft recommends can be made through the NAVEX user interface, negating the need to use the registry editor. Make sure you read the part about stopping and restarting the IS after installing new virus signatures. This causes the background scanning process to be reinitiated. If this is not done, and you have new definitions, each message will be scanned during the backup process.

One thing that can slow down backups that are done across the network is a mismatch between the speed and duplex settings on your NICs and switch. If your NIC is set to 100Mbps/half-duplex and the switch is set to 100Mbps/full-duplex, your throughput will be very slow. The greater the mismatch the worse things get. All devices need to be set the same - don't rely on Autodetect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back