Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

exchange backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kings23

MIS
Sep 5, 2002
US
I want to backup all of exchange 5.5 before I update exchange with all the latest hotfixes but when I backup all the important directories associated with exchange there are aproximately 10 files in use which are .edb and .dat files. I don't have the open file option for veritas so I can't back them up that way. If I stop the services for exchange, can I then back them up? I am just cautious about this due to it demanded use 24 hours a day. Thanks

Brian

Use NTBackup. When you get it open, go to the menu on the far left, and select 'Microsoft Exchange'. (I'm doing this from memory, and I can't remember the menu heading). Select your exchange server on the left and then the directory and information stores on the right. This will perform an on-line backup of both databases and any necessary transaction log files.

I strongly urge you to get the Exchange module for Backup Exec. You don't currently have a backup of your most critical Exchange files. You've been lucky (as I was with my first Exchange server), and not needed your backup yet.

Get yourself a copy of 'Exchange Server 5.5 Unleashed', which was published by SAMS. Read up on backups. Also, if you have a problem, consult with someone who knows what they are doing before attempting to use any of the repair tools. I'm not talking down to you, here, just trying to save someone who appears to not have a great depth of experience from getting into trouble! We're here when you need us (although we may not log in every day!).

If you should ever find yourself with a server that is down, first check the event logs and look up the event IDs at (go to the advanced search page and limit your search to Exchange). If the problem isn't readily apparent and you need to get your server back on line ASAP, don't hesitate to call Microsoft. The cost of the call will save you a lot of grief, if not your job - even if you have to pay for the call yourself!

Good luck, and let me know if you need further assistance,
Bob

Thanks, I just ordered the exchange agent. I guess I was just trying to find a way around backing up those files without getting the agent but it looks like this is the best way to go. I was handed down a network that needs a lot of work and I'm trying to take it one step at a time. I want to backup everyting first before I install the upgrades and my new symantec corporate edition suite that I purchased. Thanks again. I'm sure you'll hear from me again.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back